Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Next scope conundrums (still!)

Just now, jock1958 said:

Excellent setup @wibblefish I’m sure you will have many happy hours under the stars. Did you get any Slo Mo cables for your Skytee? 

Thanks, no not yet I am going to see how it goes without them first but I imagine they might end up being necessary, presumably the SW compatible ones would do if needed. Also debating if I go for the extension tube for the tripod but again I think I've spent enough for a little while so it'd only be if it was super annoying to use :D

3 hours ago, wibblefish said:

Thanks, no not yet I am going to see how it goes without them first but I imagine they might end up being necessary, presumably the SW compatible ones would do if needed. Also debating if I go for the extension tube for the tripod but again I think I've spent enough for a little while so it'd only be if it was super annoying to use :D

I bought some skywatcher ones and they’re fitted to my small Tak FS 60 just now, I find them a bit short & stiff but there’s not a lot of choice out there just now. The Rowan ones look decent but end connections are 8mm and won’t fit your ST 2 (6mm) unless you make connectors to suit. 

I resorted to making my own for my 4” Tak FC-100 and they are much longer and a lot more flexible. 

The 16” skywatcher extension tube is good but weighs a ton and was a bit long for me so I resorted to DIY and made a 5” one out of aluminium tube and used the end fittings that I already had off the 16” tube. I’m pretty sure you can get shorter ones though not sure where 🤔

My original budget when I came back into this hobby (2016) was about £400, I can safely say I’ve blown that figure ten fold 😩😩

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jock1958 said:

My original budget when I came back into this hobby (2016) was about £400, I can safely say I’ve blown that figure ten fold 😩😩

I was only meant to spend about 400-500 on a Dobsonian or something, I can safely say we are double that, cursed refractor-lust!

I am hoping to sell my old refactor that this is replacing so that will help though I need to try and work out a price, its only a year old but its got a few dew marks, marring on the dovetail (those seem to damned soft) and some tube marks from where the rigel was glue'd! Still have the original boxes though and might even chuck in the semi-apo filter I have since I shouldn't need it any more :)

Edited by wibblefish

3 minutes ago, wibblefish said:

I was only meant to spend about 400-500 on a Dobsonian or something, I can safely say we are double that!

I am hoping to sell my old refactor that this is replacing so that will help though I need to try and work out a price, its only a year old but its got a few dew marks, marring on the dovetail and some tube marks from where the rigel was glue'd! Still have the original boxes and might even chuck in the semi-apo filter I have since I shouldn't need it any more :)

If it’s dew marks on the lens then that can be carefully cleaned using Baader wonder fluid and their cloths, there’s plenty of threads on here about that or leave it if u don’t feel confident. Cleaning sticky residue off the tube can easily be done, I did it this morning on one my finders using  some tar remover and a bit of brake pad cleaner on a cloth. In my opinion I wouldn’t worry about about marring on the dovetail, it’s fair wear & tear...although I’ve seen people using aluminium strips to preserve them. 
Going rate for second hand gear is approx 65% of original price if it’s in very good nick. 

Sticky stuff removal is one of the only two things I use WD40 for (the other is drying my bike chain after cleaning it) give it a try, bet that Rigel sticky pad glue rubs straight off with a bit of rag or kitchen towel dosed with magic spray ...

Heather

Aye I did some WD40 removal in the end so most of it is gone!

Going to chuck it out to my facebook and see if anyone fancies it for a little bit less than new (not quite 45% less!) with the filter first then will maybe try on here. 

Edited by wibblefish

Congrats on the new scope.

I secretly wanted to chime in and advise you to get the AZ-GTi and the 127Mak… but I guess I was too late ;)

A 4” APO is really an excellent choice though. Just about small enough to be portable, just about big enough to show you most things.

20 hours ago, Concordia000 said:

Congrats on the new scope.

I secretly wanted to chime in and advise you to get the AZ-GTi and the 127Mak… but I guess I was too late ;)

A 4” APO is really an excellent choice though. Just about small enough to be portable, just about big enough to show you most things.

Hope so, I am fully expecting it to be another couple of weeks for first light lol

I do still like the idea of a Mak127 but I am done with astro kit for … well st least this month ;)

22 minutes ago, wibblefish said:

Hope so, I am fully expecting it to be another couple of weeks for first light lol

I do still like the idea of a Mak127 but I am done with astro kit for … well st least this month ;)

Honestly the 127Mak is unlikely to show you more than the 4” APO. It’s more comparable to a 90mm APO imo, but it’s a lot more portable.

On 05/11/2021 at 08:29, jock1958 said:

I bought some skywatcher ones and they’re fitted to my small Tak FS 60 just now, I find them a bit short & stiff but there’s not a lot of choice out there just now. The Rowan ones look decent but end connections are 8mm and won’t fit your ST 2 (6mm) unless you make connectors to suit.

You might be able to find adapters / reducers on the Web if you Google around a bit.  I haven't actually looked though.

• Thanks 1