Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crescent Nebula NGC6888

david_taurus83

Approx 9 hours each in Ha and Oiii in 15 minute subs last month. The seeing and transparency for the 2 nights of Ha was terrible along with a full moon so the stack was almost as noisy as the Oiii and the Ha stars were bigger than the Oiii! So I have done two versions. One with full stars and one with them removed and put back after processing the nebula. Not sure which one I prefer? Comment and criticism welcome. Processing done in Pixinsight.

Altair 80 EDR doublet, Atik 460, Astronomik Ha and Oiii 6nm filters.

NGC6888 HOO 2.jpg

NGC6888 HOO 3.jpg

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Lee_P said:

Both great images! If I had to choose, I'd go for the first one. It just looks a bit crisper. 

Thanks! The second one with reduced stars was my first attempt with a quick process just to see what sort of image I could get. The first image I took a bit more time and used deconvolution on a synthetic Lum (all Ha and Oiii stacked together) and also some sharpening towards the end. I wasn't completely happy with it as imo it's too noisy for the hours put in but the seeing was rubbish and a full moon to boot. The more I look at it on the forum the more it's grown on me so I think I'll call it done!

• Like 1