Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mid range EP’s

Hello again 

I just rekindled my astronomy bug as detailed in my introduction. The EP’s that came with my telescopes are the usual suspects apart from the 2” 30mm super that came with the reflector. I was looking around for a suitable upgrade without breaking the bank. I have gravitated towards the BST Starguider ED range. Are these decent enough?, or should I look elsewhere?. Thanks 

Yep. There was an 8mm BST in the classifieds earlier. You won't be able to access it just yet, as you need a certain number of posts before you can.

But it's also up on AB&S(UK) - https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=179440

We can vouch for @azrabella - it'll be in excellent nick and it's a bargain price. If you don't like it, you can sell it without losing anything. But you'll like it!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Hello again 

I just rekindled my astronomy bug as detailed in my introduction. The EP’s that came with my telescopes are the usual suspects apart from the 2” 30mm super that came with the reflector. I was looking around for a suitable upgrade without breaking the bank. I have gravitated towards the BST Starguider ED range. Are these decent enough?, or should I look elsewhere?. Thanks 

I own the 8, 12, 15 , 18 and 25mm BSTs, all are decent eyepieces for the price , with a reasonable 60 degree field of view . The only one I'm less than happy with is the 25mm, which isn't great in my f5 dob. It is fine in my less picky 127mak at f12 though. If you mention what telescopes you intend to use the eyepieces with it would make it easier to offer appropriate suggestions.

Heather

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Hello again 

Hi. I've only got fairly limited experience with EPs but for what it's worth, I started out with the Baader Classic Ortho range. Not the same FOV as the BSTs but the quality of the view is top notch for 50 quid a piece. The 6mm I found a bit fiddly but the 10 and 18mm were used a lot. 

I've currently got a 3.2mm BST and for the price it seems to hold up pretty well at x234 on my 6" Newtonian. 

• Like 1

I have a 8” Dobsonian (GSO) and a Skywatcher Skymax 127 go to. I bought these two to start me back into the hobby. Ideally I would like EP’s that could be used for both. This would be the ideal but isn’t set in stone. I have also been attracted to others like the Baader Hyperion, also the zoom from them. I could live with the slight loss of FOV with the zoom (50 degrees at 24mm) but not if the brightness was way down. I have heard both good and bad regarding the Hyperion zoom hence I’m leaning towards the individual EP’s. There’s also the Celestron X Cel range. Decisions,decisions. Sorry for the long ramble.

I like the Hyperion Zoom and I found it looked brighter and more contrasty at the 8mm setting than my 8mm BST Starguider which is a respectable lens in its own right. With the 2.25x Barlow you get a very flexible setup covering 3.6-10.7mm and 8-24mm and I've liked using mine and felt it was good value for money.

Your Skymax is going to be more forgiving of cheaper eyepieces than the 8" GSO due to its longer focal ratio so you might find that even a really cheap Plössl looks good in your Mak but might be a bit disappointing in the Dob.

• Like 1

Yes I figured that would be the case. I am now settled on either the Baader zoom and the 2.25x matching Barlow or a few of the actual Hyperion EP’s individually. I will ponder it over the weekend and place the order on Monday morning. Thanks 

On 22/10/2021 at 19:31, Tiny Clanger said:

I own the 8, 12, 15 , 18 and 25mm BSTs, all are decent eyepieces for the price , with a reasonable 60 degree field of view . The only one I'm less than happy with is the 25mm, which isn't great in my f5 dob. It is fine in my less picky 127mak at f12 though. If you mention what telescopes you intend to use the eyepieces with it would make it easier to offer appropriate suggestions.

Heather

Hi Heather 

Have you had any internal reflections in your BST EP’s?. I have read from a few people who have said this but I would prefer to ask someone who actually owns several of them. Thanks again 

Ian 

Can't go wrong with the BST's for a first upgrade. The BCO's are fantastic but are traditional style and have a smaller field of view. Great for higher power planetary viewing but maybe not for searching around finding stuff. Baader zoom and barlow combo is my most used astro kit, don't leave home without it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Andrew_B said:

With the 2.25x Barlow you get a very flexible setup covering 3.6-10.7mm and 8-24mm and I've liked using mine and felt it was good value for money.

Second that. Add a 2" low power widefield and you may not need to ever buy another eyepiece. Well, not until you catch the astro-kit bug! It's highly infectious! 🙂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Hi Heather 

Have you had any internal reflections in your BST EP’s?. I have read from a few people who have said this but I would prefer to ask someone who actually owns several of them. Thanks again 

Ian 

No, no internal reflections that I've noticed , and that includes using the 15mm BST a fair bit for solar observing which I'd imagine would be very likely to provoke any such reflections. 

The baader hyperions are , if I recall correctly , not very good at the edges in fast 'scopes , so would be good in the 127 mak, but possibly not so great in  your dob .

Heather

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Second that. Add a 2" low power widefield and you may not need to ever buy another eyepiece. Well, not until you catch the astro-kit bug! It's highly infectious! 🙂

I think I’ve already contracted the Astro-bug. Unknown to me it’s been lying dormant since I was a young man.🔭

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

No, no internal reflections that I've noticed , and that includes using the 15mm BST a fair bit for solar observing which I'd imagine would be very likely to provoke any such reflections. 

The baader hyperions are , if I recall correctly , not very good at the edges in fast 'scopes , so would be good in the 127 mak, but possibly not so great in  your dob .

Heather

Thanks Heather 

My Dobsonian is an F6 and I haven’t heard this about the Hyperion EP’s being poor at the edges. I’ll ponder it over tomorrow and place my order on the Monday morning. Thanks again    

Ian 

18 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Thanks Heather 

My Dobsonian is an F6 and I haven’t heard this about the Hyperion EP’s being poor at the edges. I’ll ponder it over tomorrow and place my order on the Monday morning. Thanks again    

Ian 

A trawl through bookmarks I made when investigating eyepieces found the sources of my doubt : https://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/vixen-lvw-vs-baader-hyperion-review.html

and

• Thanks 1

I also have a 8" Dob and my first EP upgrades were BSTs. As others said, they are great . My favourite were the 15mm for DSOs and 8mm for higher magnification. The 25mm is showing the stars as seagulls at the edges so not that great. I have recently moved away from them for wider FOV ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kon said:

I also have a 8" Dob and my first EP upgrades were BSTs. As others said, they are great . My favourite were the 15mm for DSOs and 8mm for higher magnification. The 25mm is showing the stars as seagulls at the edges so not that great. I have recently moved away from them for wider FOV ones.

Thanks for your views on the BST range of EP’s. You are certainly not alone with your words of warning regarding the 25mm. Had I not posted my enquiry then I would have been oblivious to this. Thanks again 

• Like 1

I have ended up getting the Baader Hyperion Zoom and Barlow, along with a 1.25” 32mm Celestron Omni EP for the 1.25” dielectric i just fitted on my Mak. That lets me use my 2” 32mm on my Dobsonian. That’s me fed my Astro bug for a few weeks 

• Like 3