Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Refractor fell on to concrete - can anyone check the only sub I managed to get last night?

mrflib

No idea what happened, I swear I had it securly in the mount by the dovetail. It landed dew-shied first and chipped a bit of paint off the corner. My 3D printed top-rail then took the rest of the impact.

From what I can see the glass looks fine.

To check it last night I managed to get set up under clouds and got one 30 second sub before overcast. I couldn't polar align.

Can anything be said of this sub that scope is ok/not ok, or do I need more data?

Cheers

Preview_000_30.0s_Bin1_gain100.fit Preview_000_30.0s_Bin1_gain100.tif

2 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I don't know enough to say whether you can draw any conclusion from those subs.
But, I would be hopeful, as doesn't look like it has been disastrous.

How did it slip ?
Did the whole dovetail slip through the clamp?

Steve

I've got no idea, it actually fell out sideways, as in rolled out, not up or down sliding. Very odd. I'm thinking it looks "ok" too, as in, the stars are equally crap everywhere.

Stars are elongated - there is some trailing.

I think that trailing is either poor polar alignment or periodic error - not optical issue. If we exclude trailing - I think stars will be OK and that optics is fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

Stars are elongated - there is some trailing.

I think that trailing is either poor polar alignment or periodic error - not optical issue. If we exclude trailing - I think stars will be OK and that optics is fine.

Cheers dude.

I ran out as soon as the kids were in bed and set up as quick as I could (no pier) - by the time I was focused I had time for 30 seconds of sub only, with no polar alignment. I aimed the mount at a tree that's roughly north 😛

A couple of times on a large refractor I have “missed” the dovetail slot when rocking the heavy scope into position horizontally, because I haven’t opened the clamp sufficiently. I always look at the end of dovetail to check it has located properly before taking my hand away.