NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stacking comet images

Managed a couple of hours of comet Lulin last night, got 10 x 5 min subs each at ISO800 & 1600.

Tried stacking in DSS but had no joy, ended up with a sausage shape comet :lol: trouble is DSS needs pinpoint stars to stack and as I guided on the comet itself and its fast moving all the stars are trailed.

So the question is how do I stack the frames ?

Once you have loaded your pics in to DSS click check all then click to register them making sure that stack after registering is not selected. Once the pics are registered click on one of the light frames at the bottem to view the image and on the right hand side you will see some icons click on the comet one, then using the mouse wheel zoom in to the pic and move the cursor over the centre of the core then left click to select, next click on the disk icon on the right to save it. You need to do this on all your light frames.

Next click stack checked pictures on the right of screen and then click stacking parameters then click comet and select which option you want then click ok and it should stack aligned on the comet.

Hope this makes sense.:lol:

Hi Pete

That certainly made sense as you explained it in a way that was easy to understand

Thanks heaps.

Do you know of a tutorial on this forum that explains the best method of stacking raws in DSS with regard to best proven settings do's and dont's ect

Cheers

Dave

• 4 years later...

Helen et al;

I got 2 sets of ISON data over the weekend (60 sec x 5 x LRGB and 75 sec x 5 x LRGB).  Will this technique keep both the comet and the stars from trailing?

If not, can someone please let me know how to do this? 

Thanks!

Destrehan Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Archived