NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Light ASI 224 MC Jupiter and Saturn

Laurieast

Opinions and advice welcome!

I need to get a barlow on this next time, heavily cropped. My very ancient Dell Inspiron also only has USB 2.0 so it took about 12 minutes to get 10k frames. 

Asi 224 MC + IR Cut Filter, Explorer 150p, @ prime f5 750mm, captured in ASICAP, best 5% of 10k frames stacked in Autostakkert3, Wavelets in Registax, and slightly tweaked the tint as it seemed very blue to start with. 

Visually I could see none of this detail, so was surprised at how much came out in Registax. I only used one level, but I don't really know what I'm doing with it yet.

1386810073_2021-10-01-2008_5-CapObj_1_l5_ap1L2(2).jpg.d01acfdc94e70d3a65058c5c5ea54c29.jpg

Edited by Laurieast
  • Like 3

Check your Bayer matrix settings in AS!3. It should be RGGB for ASI224. If you get that wrong - it will make funny color image.

You should end up with green rather than blue image and then in Registax - hit RGB balance - it should produce nice looking colors.

12 minute video is too long for Jupiter as planet rotates. If you need to take videos that long, look into WinJupos and derotation of videos.

Another way to improve FPS is to select smaller ROI - like 640x480 or even 320x200. Planet is small enough to fit even very small ROI but you'll loose the moons that way, so choose which option you like best.

Using x3 barlow on that scope will give you optimum sampling rate for ASI224, so consider adding one in future.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

Visually I could see none of this detail, so was surprised at how much came out in Registax. I only used one level, but I don't really know what I'm doing with it yet.

On exactly the same journey😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

Check your Bayer matrix settings in AS!3. It should be RGGB for ASI224. If you get that wrong - it will make funny color image.

You should end up with green rather than blue image and then in Registax - hit RGB balance - it should produce nice looking colors.

Success!  Only 13 frames per second, going to need a faster machine! Will try the ROI next time. Off to FLO now for a 3x barlow. Thanks!

1119094545_200.thumb.jpg.315661f61e441d88531e903c929ec3aa.jpg

• Like 4

• Laurieast changed the title to First Light ASI 224 MC Jupiter and Saturn