Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Robert Brown's MySQM Pro

Jonk

For those who have seen this project, or have built and run your own, I'd thought I'd let you know that there has been some vast improvements over the past week or 2.

There is now a version of the mySQM software that runs on the Raspberry Pi.

I had the mySQM PCB with arduino fitted on a long term test (>6 months) outside in the shed and in that time, I lost count the number of times that laptop crashed or rebooted, sometimes due to an update, other times for no reason at all.

I wrote on his forum about a Linux version being available for the PI, and at that time it wasn't.

So Rob put some instructions together on how to compile the source code and run it on the PI, so I did just that. I found a couple of bugs, reported them to Rob which were promptly fixed and I've been testing to see what else I can break!

So far however, it's looking very good and he's even added a function I requested to allow user definable readings to be displayable on the allsky camera overlay.

The Arduino FW is now at V040, so if anyone is still running an older version, this is the latest ->https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduinomysqmskyqualitymeter/files/mySQMPRO/Arduino Firmware/

There is also the newer, more feature rich mySQM + which I may move onto in the future. Both this and mySQM+ have ascom drivers to integrate the information into sequencing software, and I have to admit I've not got round to playing with that feature yet.

I also highly recommend moving from a Windows based mySQM monitor onto a RPI as it's a world of difference in reliability, not to mention the allsky software too!

A couple of screenshots:

1000004142_Maintab.png.9f654c0975bcd374d68ead170eb9aad6.png

1191105800_BME280tab.png.201d758ebeb3778601df1d6634a107af.png

772865799_Customloggingtab.png.11977b4e4cb07f04af1c8fe11bef1d0d.png

861159579_Skycloudmodeltab.png.27616cbd4e64865159f38db078975abc.png

image.png.33843fd61ce339bc1f76a7ca3793027c.png

Edited by Jonk
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am late, but I have the same idea as you:

I have Thomas' Allsky Camera on a pi and Roberts mySQM+ an a ESP32 and like their date shown on allsky camera overlay. Do I have to install the mySQM+ Linux app? But in the provided docs is the talk of Ubuntu OS... No word about Rasp Pi. The description sounds horrible for a linux novice...

Can you provide some instructions? That would be really great.

Ralf

The mysqmplusl application for Linux.pdf

The source code needs to be compiled for the rpi, as it uses an arm instruction set I believe. Ubuntu Linux can run on intel or arm I think.

Rpi OS is very good these days so probably a good idea to get the latest distro.

I don’t know if a compiled mysqm file from someone else will work if shared, you may need to contact Rob to find out.

In the past year +, my hardware hasn’t been setup so am just using sensors connected direct to the rpi and I’ve written my own python bits n bobs to read and display, alongside heating and cooling.

The allsky software has very recently been heavily updated and is available now, so definitely update if you can. 

On 09/05/2023 at 20:17, Jonk said:

The source code needs to be compiled for the rpi, as it uses an arm instruction set I believe. Ubuntu Linux can run on intel or arm I think.

Rpi OS is very good these days so probably a good idea to get the latest distro.

I don’t know if a compiled mysqm file from someone else will work if shared, you may need to contact Rob to find out.

In the past year +, my hardware hasn’t been setup so am just using sensors connected direct to the rpi and I’ve written my own python bits n bobs to read and display, alongside heating and cooling.

The allsky software has very recently been heavily updated and is available now, so definitely update if you can. 

As per @Jonk you would need the source code from Robert prob programmed in free Pascal then compile with lazarus for the RPi,  I did it for the dew controller for Robert a couple of years ago. He does come on here from time to time @brown_rb but last visited 2021 tho maybe fire him an email from his sourceforge account?

https://sourceforge.net/p/arduinomysqmskyqualitymeter/discussion/general/