Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sun very active - 29th Sept

Mark at Beaufort

I have just been observing in both Ha and WL - some brilliant views

In Ha with PST + DS some plage around AR2880 and AR2877 but the Proms nearby 2877 is impressive. On the other side Proms close to AR2880 but there is also a filaprom. A few other Proms around the disc.

I recently bought a SvBony 90mm F5.5 Achro, mainly for travel but also WL. I have an Astrozap filter but also purchased a Baader Continuum filter which they state improved Achro fracs. How, right they are!!. Both sunspots are very sharp and the view is an improvement over the non filter - glad I purchased this from FLO.

Worth a look if you can.

• Like 5

I agree with the title.  Managed to get a five minute view during the only clear patch today.  The rain must have cleared the air somewhat as the transparency was excellent, the only spoiler was the gusty wind, I actually had to hold on to the telescope to reduce the buffeting.     🙂

• 2 weeks later...

That's a result with the scope, Mark! It looks nice in the piccies online. Looks like it has a dual-speed focuser? Is it a good focuser? It sounds nice and compact for travel at F5.5. I normally take my 60mm F6.

I enjoyed a nice view of the sun I think it was on Wednesday. The spot was a fair size and there were four nice proms around with one big one.

Now that I don't image these days I am tending to view white light at home with my Equinox 120 and Baader Herschel Wedge. I used to be lazy and use a 100mm and Lunt 1.25 wedge, as the Baader was set up with a photographic-only ND filter and I couldn't be bothered to keep swapping over to the visual ND filter.

8 hours ago, Luke said:

That's a result with the scope, Mark! It looks nice in the piccies online. Looks like it has a dual-speed focuser? Is it a good focuser? It sounds nice and compact for travel at F5.5.

Luke I am very pleased with the scope and yes the focuser is dual speed - very smooth. I may purchase a Herschel Wedge in the future but I am happy with the Astrozap filter at the moment. Certainly the Baader Continuum filter has improved contrast.

• Like 1