Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrade from 130PDS....

Thinking of consolidating my kit, for a number of reasons; I haven't really taken to imaging whilst travelling (or don't travel enough), and there's not enough clear nights to justify trying to keep 4 OTAs in rotation! I don't have an obsy (yet) so setup time is a consideration.

My most successful OTA has been my 130PDS - I built a shelf that I can install all the kit on, and so I can be up and running in 10 minutes from scratch.

Other main kit is an EQ6 that I leave in the garden, a Canon modded DSLR and a QHY163 mono camera with FW + the usual  7 filters.

So getting to the main question - what do people consider a good upgrade to the 130PDS? I'd like a similar/slightly shorter focal length, and nothing too bulky to make setup difficult.

My guess is that a 100-120mm APO refractor would be a good bet - would people suggest that this would provide a decent step up?

If so, is there much variation in imaging quality between the brands/designs - I know that a triplet is optimal, but I've seen good results from the ED doublets?

Obviously, I don't need to spend the cash I get from selling my unused kit on more gear, so just sticking with what I've got is also an option.

I was going to defend the 130PDS as there is so much that people have acheived with this little scope. But as you have an EQ6 there must be many possibilities that would be concidered an upgrade, dependent on budget!

I would have thought that any of the Skywatcher ED pro series with the matching focal reducer would be suitable.

The 130PDS is a very capable scope once you've got over all the hurdles of imaging with a newt. Unless you want something that can't be done with the 130PDS (e.g. very wide field imaging, or portable visual setup), I'd say stick to what you've got and save the money.

I have just purchased a TS Photon 6" F4 newtonian which is similar to the 130 PDS and in theory a bit faster. The FL is slightly shorter at 600mm. With coma corrector / reducer you could widen it further. How much of an upgrade this is from a 130 is another question. I brought it to get a faster scope than my ED80. Although I like the refractor at F6.3 it is not fast and to get good images I generally need to get a couple of nights data. I am hoping this can be reduced at F4. It does have a few issues that I need to fully resolve - not least removing the coma to an acceptable level. I currently have a Baader MPCC which I suspect will be pushed at F4 - I might need to get a better one.

Obviously a fast-ish triplet refractor would be considered an upgrade, but if you are getting good images with your current scope it is a lot to shell out.

Lets face it, it is the rule of n+1. I have the same problem😄