NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar imaging, DSLR or dedicated camera

Chefgage

Quick question (possibly). I have a canon DSLR which has a resolution of 6288x4056 and in video mode is 1920x1080 at 60fps.

I also have a asi120mm mini which has a resolution of 1280x960 at 35fps.

My question is which is better for lunar imaging when using the canon in video mode. My understanding is although the DSLR has a higher resolution and frame rate (in video mode) than the asi120mm, the fact is the DSLR is downsampling from the resolution of 6288x4056 which means it makes it worse than the asi120mm.  Is this correct. So even with a smaller resolution, the asi120mm is the better option.

2 minutes ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

Dedicated camera all the way!

I believe you're correct about the DSLR's video mode, but hey, as you've already got both cameras, why not put the theory to the test, and let the images do the talking?

Thanks for the reply. I was planning of trying both but I was trying to get my head round the science/theory behind it :) Tonight's looking good so I will give it a try.

2 hours ago, Laurieast said:

I don't know about the numbers, but I have a Canon EOS 500D, and the asi 120mm mini, and much prefer the results from the mini for Lunar imaging 🙂

Thanks for that. It's not something I have done lunar imaging. I do DSO imaging but the amount of times that I have not imaged due to the moon makes me think why not go out and make use of the clear skies (being that the clear skies are not exactly frequent).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

Thanks for that. It's not something I have done lunar imaging. I do DSO imaging but the amount of times that I have not imaged due to the moon makes me think why not go out and make use of the clear skies (being that the clear skies are not exactly frequent).

My thinking exactly, I bought the mini as a guide camera, but have ended up using it just as much as a lunar camera!

But you will find yourself trying the DSLR anyway. I found that a full frame of the Moon on a DSLR can be very dissapointing. 

1 hour ago, Laurieast said:

My thinking exactly, I bought the mini as a guide camera, but have ended up using it just as much as a lunar camera!

But you will find yourself trying the DSLR anyway. I found that a full frame of the Moon on a DSLR can be very dissapointing. 

I use my asi120mm mini as a guide cam the same as you. I have imaged the moon using my DSLR just taking a single shot. I think at the time I got lucky with seeing/conditions as the image taken with no processing came out exceptionally clear and detailed. But I am wondering if this was just a one off. So I am keen to try the asi120mm.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

I use my asi120mm mini as a guide cam the same as you. I have imaged the moon using my DSLR just taking a single shot. I think at the time I got lucky with seeing/conditions as the image taken with no processing came out exceptionally clear and detailed. But I am wondering if this was just a one off. So I am keen to try the asi120mm.

It's not a one off. Single shot DSLR images can be super. The dedicated camera is useful for taking close ups of individual features though when stacking video.

• Like 1

You haven't said what OTA you are using.

A small refractor may yield a small image of the moon that the ASI will frame nicely, but will only be using a small portion of the DSLR sensor.

Conversely the ASI chip may be too small to frame the whole moon, but the moon nicely fills the DSLR sensor .

DSLR 1080 HD Video is not the best way to do Planetary, if FOV allows use the LIveview 5x or Crop Video modes :

https://www.astropix.com/html/equipment/canon_one_to_one_pixel_resolution.html

Michael

4 hours ago, michael8554 said:

You haven't said what OTA you are using.

A small refractor may yield a small image of the moon that the ASI will frame nicely, but will only be using a small portion of the DSLR sensor.

Conversely the ASI chip may be too small to frame the whole moon, but the moon nicely fills the DSLR sensor .

DSLR 1080 HD Video is not the best way to do Planetary, if FOV allows use the LIveview 5x or Crop Video modes :

https://www.astropix.com/html/equipment/canon_one_to_one_pixel_resolution.html

Michael

Good point. The moon does not fit in the FOV of the asi120mm mini using my ed72 focal length 420mm. Whereas it does fit in the FOV with the DSLR.  As far as I am aware my canon 200d does not allow the live view video mode. 

Overall it's not really an issue as my main focus is DSO imaging. But I am thinking of maybe doing some lunar imaging in between. 

I have taken some really nice lunar images just using my DSLR taking just a single image. 

I suppose I may just have to experiment and see what I get, or maybe a few new spends are on the cards?? :)

Edited by Chefgage