Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open nightime parks in NW or W London w good horizons?

ProfHippo

Hi! 

I live in NW London (NW3/NW6). 

I searched older posts and found tons of information on really good sites far far West or SW/SE around London, as well as the far darker sites far from London. - I got there on special trips but want something closer by for quick on the day jaunts out.  I'm keen to find accessible nighttime locations that are more North or NW of my location. Main need is not having too many obstructions high up on the horizon (my main problem in central London); reduction in streetlight is always helpful but I'm realistic about what's around Greater London 😛 

I'm happy to drive for e.g. 20-40 minutes outwards, maybe even 1 hour for better site and to return on the same night. I have a Celestron C6 SE and got a set up that I can put easily into a normal car; will go with another soul for safety and non-boredom.  

My main issue is finding parks that are open to anyone at nighttime with unobstructed views. (If car parking is impossible then I can get a taxi but then journey back may need prior booking.) 

I'm less interested in meeting up with scheduled star parties or observatories days at the moment (I have had a look at the locations these guys use: https://www.wolas.org.uk/observing_events). I've done that before but I now fancy the freedom of seeing a clear sky, jumping out and going out on a whim.  

- Denham Country Park is only 40 mins drive away, used by lots of star parties, but isn't open without prior private arrangement. 
- Morden Hall Park is south but otherwise looks like my best option if I can't find anything N or NW.
- I see greenery on the map north of Barnet, Borehamwood, Cheshunt and not far off by motorway, but have no idea what is accessible and decent.

So.. Welcome any thoughts for NW or North of Hampsteadish for 40 mins jaunts in a car. Preferably with parking of some sort and access at night without arrangement.  Thanks for your advice.

Edited by ProfHippo

• ProfHippo changed the title to Open nightime parks in NW or W London w good horizons?

I think there is car parking at Cheshunt Park. Mind you, it is over 30 years since I lived there so things might have changed. It's quite a large park, mostly open grass so you should be able to get good views without any direct LP. Maybe park in the Golf Club carpark or St Paul's School, or could park on the street near the school,