NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Should I go for a DarkFrame tune on a new mount?

oldannie

Am intending to buy an EQ6-R to replace my old NEQ6 as my observatory mount.  Am hoping that a standard tune or stellar drive by DarkFrame will enhance it's performance.  Just wondering whether it's worth doing when the mount is new or waiting for a while?

Annie

1 hour ago, oldannie said:

Am intending to buy an EQ6-R to replace my old NEQ6 as my observatory mount.  Am hoping that a standard tune or stellar drive by DarkFrame will enhance it's performance.  Just wondering whether it's worth doing when the mount is new or waiting for a while?

Annie

DarkFrame Optics is a bit of a contentious subject on this forum - you're likely to receive wildly different opinions on them. 

What l would ask is do you need improved performance:

What's your imaging scale?

What issues are you experiencing with your current mount that's making you want to upgrade (and then upgrade your upgrade)?

Personally, my take is that having any mount overhauled and tuned with higher tolerance bearings etc is really down to the level of imaging you are at.  I know of one person who has just had his EQ8 services and upgraded parts fitted (not by the company mentioned above) to resolve and improve his imaging results.  But he is what I would call a "professional" amateur, with equipment valued at many thousands of pounds, and he produces results that grace the covers of Astronomy now, and Popular Astronomy. 

If, like me you are a casual imager, with more humble equipment, in a less than ideal location but are still happy with the results, then I can't really see the need to turn what may well be a perfectly function mount that is well capable of giving the performance needed straight out of the box.  Also, as others have mentioned, any such work will invalidate the warranty, and an EQ6-R isn't cheap.

• Like 1

I agree with you about being realistic about your own imaging skills and situation and I have been delighted and surprised with what I have managed to achieve especially since I didn't start imaging until my mid sixties. My first mount HEQ5 was brilliant but  the NEQ6 I bought for my observatory has never quite lived upto expectations.  Hopefully the EQ6_R will.   I use my HEQ5 for lunar/planetary outdoors and love it.  It remains accurate and efficient and so far trouble free. I don't think it would be comfortable with my deep sky set up: Takahashi 106, Atik 460, filter wheel and MGEN guider.  And am of an age where I want to treat myself 😀

Annie

3 hours ago, oldannie said:

I think that's right 'Tomato' though my NEQ6 is now like me showing it's age and I can at least change the mount 🙂

Cheers

Annie

You may find a standard DIY service could give the old tired mount a new lease of life ?

The thing is people often uprate the bearings and such to high spec ones, which is fine, but in reality given the speed at which the RA/DEC axis move, and the fact that they hardly rotate a complete circuit there is often very little wear and tear on the originals.  These mounts are made to a certain level of precision that mass production permits.  I'm sure if someone machined  more precise and hard wearing worm gears that reduced backlash even more then that would be more practical, but given where these HEQ5 / EQ6 mounts are placed is that going to be much of an improvement, or worth the cost.  I mean it's quite easy to get guiding accuracy of one arcsecond or less with these mounts without any upgrades other than a belt drive, which is going to give some nice tight round stars and detailed images in anyone's book.  

Yes Malcolm a standard DIY service may well improve matters.  At the moment when I'm anywhere near the meridian I lose three or four frames with bad trailing and for 10/15 min subs that's proving very frustrating😢 I am going to go back to basics as well - again  - and make sure I get everything as accurate as I can.

Dammed hobby 🤔

Annie