Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heart Nebula 6/9/21

Sterrenland

Was good to be under the stars again last night...decided to try the Heart Nebula for the first time.

I found framing it quite difficult due to the FOV, but was pleased with the final orientation. The seeing was pretty good and I was quite pleased with the tightness of the stars. Overall I managed two hours of 120sec subs.

I'm not sure what the 'ringed' star is to the left of the Nebula (I've included an enlarged image below)...it was the only star in all the subs to have what appears to be rings around it. I obviously suspect it might just be an 'artefact' fo some kind, but cannot understand why it only affects this one star. I did check in Stellarium, but couldn't really see what it might be.

heart_reduced2.thumb.jpg.ac9de418053a60aa74706d9063c6b146.jpg

heart_reduced_detail.thumb.jpg.bdc1d0aa6c88a0ca72bc853713c45e5f.jpg

• Like 8

Are you using a dual narrowband filter? I get rings on some red stars with mine when using Altair tri band or L enhance combined with my samyang lens

have a look on my image here both on the garnet star then also on a fainter red star near top left

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Magnum said:

Are you using a dual narrowband filter? I get rings on some red stars with mine when using Altair tri band or L enhance combined with my samyang lens

have a look on my image here both on the garnet star then also on a fainter red star near top left

not sure its that to be honest. I would expect that the ring from a filter reflection would be much larger than that. 

If it reminded me of anything its gravitational lensing but this is something that you would normally only see on large galaxies. It is very odd, I would be interested if you can see it in all your subs of just the stacked image. 

It would also be interesting to look at more recent images of the heart and see if its something new. Excluding these possibilities its probably a processing artefact. 

Adam 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Magnum said:

Thanks for the info Magnum.

The ring on mine doesn't look like the usual star rings and it does seem strange that only one star out of approx. 1300 has this quite separate ring around it.

Really not sure...but thanks for taking a look.

4 hours ago, Adam J said:

not sure its that to be honest. I would expect that the ring from a filter reflection would be much larger than that. 

If it reminded me of anything its gravitational lensing but this is something that you would normally only see on large galaxies. It is very odd, I would be interested if you can see it in all your subs of just the stacked image. 

It would also be interesting to look at more recent images of the heart and see if its something new. Excluding these possibilities its probably a processing artefact. 

Adam 

Adam...The thing that seems strange is that this ring only appears around one star out of approx. 1300 in the image. And I've checked - it's on all 62 subs. Very odd. Thanks for your suggestions though.

1 hour ago, Sterrenland said:

Thanks for the info Magnum.

The ring on mine doesn't look like the usual star rings and it does seem strange that only one star out of approx. 1300 has this quite separate ring around it.

Really not sure...but thanks for taking a look.

Ive had it on only 1 star sometimes, but it will always be a red star, what filter are you using?

lee

On 07/09/2021 at 14:18, Adam J said:

Adam 

ive found another one in the Original posters image, im 90% sure this is the same filter phenomenon I get with my triband and L enhance filters, every image I take with them has 1 0r 2 sometimes half a dozen of them, and yes they show in every sub. And yes they are always close around the star, its nothing like a typical halo, I believe its a spectral interference effect between the filter and glass, due to these new filter trying to pass 2 or 3 lines at the same time.

Lee

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.21.10.png

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Magnum said:

ive found another one in the image, im 90% sure this is the same filter phenomenon I get with my triband and L enhance filters, every image I take with them has 1 0r 2 sometimes half a dozen of them, and yes they show in every sub. And yes they are always close around the star, its nothing like a typical halo, I believe its a spectral interference effect between the filter and glass, due to these new filter trying to pass 2 or 3 lines at the same time.

Lee

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.21.10.png

Maybe but why only that stat and not the others?

Here is one I took with the L Enhance, 533mc & sayang lens @ f2.8, when I first took this I was convinced id discovered something, but since then I get them pop up all the time LOL. I also found an image with same framing as mine taken with the identical setup and the identical ring on the same star, if you zoom around the full image there are some much fainter ones on several other stars. As I Said before its only on Red stars. Ive attached some example below from several images, as you can see the pop up randomly, not dependent on brightness at all.

XWO533M42Biggerstretchsmall.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.30.09.png

StarStrecthsmall.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.35.57.png

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.35.17.png

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.36.06.png

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.35.12.png

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Magnum said:

I believe its specific wavelength stars the very red carbon stars.

Yet the reflection is blue so its not the red light that's causing it. Perhaps UV, so would be interesting to place a UV/IR cut in line with the filter. 

7 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Yet the reflection is blue so its not the red light that's causing it. Perhaps UV, so would be interesting to place a UV/IR cut in line with the filter. 

if you look at the pass bands of the filter they only let in 2 or 3 narrow bands which don't include any UV or IR so they both are effectively have UV?IR blocking built in, but it could be in the OIII band which is blue. However I dont get them if I use these filters on my other scopes and I dont get them if I use any other filter with the samyang, I only get them using the  dual narrowband filters and samyang together with the OSC camera, that include all 3 that ive tried L enhance, L extreme & Tri band.  

ive added some more examples to my last reply for interest.

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 1