Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Elephant Trunk ASI533mc

Magnum

I took this image of the Elephant Trunk IC1396 3 weeks ago but forgot to post until now. This is 43 x 5 mins with my ZWO ASI533MC camera + Altair Triband filter and the Samyang 135mm f2 lens @ f2.4. Guided, captured stacked and stretched in MaximDL, processed in Photoshop, no calibration frames as that's how I roll 😛 

P.S. Yes I know there is an odd ring Halo around the Garnet star, but its an unavoidable artefact on specific colour red stars when using the samyang 135 with Dual Narrowband filters, ive experienced it with the L Enhance, L Extreme and now the Altair Triband. It pops up randomly on specific wavelength red stars and is not related to their brightness. It doesn't bother me at all but thought id point it out before I get comments about it hahahhaahahha, most of the time the red stars are so dim it doesn't really show.

Lee 

Trunk2Final.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Magnum said:

I took this image of the Elephant Trunk IC1396 3 weeks ago but forgot to post until now. This is 43 x 5 mins with my ZWO ASI533MC camera + Altair Triband filter and the Samyang 135mm f2 lens @ f2.4. Guided, captured stacked and stretched in MaximDL, processed in Photoshop, no calibration frames as that's how I roll 😛 

P.S. Yes I know there is an odd ring Halo around the Garnet star, but its an unavoidable artefact on specific colour red stars when using the samyang 135 with Dual Narrowband filters, ive experienced it with the L Enhance, L Extreme and now the Altair Triband. It pops up randomly on specific wavelength red stars and is not related to their brightness. It doesn't bother me at all but thought id point it out before I get comments about it hahahhaahahha, most of the time the red stars are so dim it doesn't really show.

Lee 

Trunk2Final.jpg

Great Image, glad someone else doesn't go with Calibration Frames, short subs and lots of them for me, no guiding either, mount tracks well , PA in Sharpcap pro, 2 star align and thats it,

due to the weather here cant afford the time to mess about with too many things lol.

eric

On 03/09/2021 at 16:12, Planitair said:

Great Image, glad someone else doesn't go with Calibration Frames, short subs and lots of them for me, no guiding either, mount tracks well , PA in Sharpcap pro, 2 star align and thats it,

due to the weather here cant afford the time to mess about with too many things lol.

eric

If I can get away without flats then I do, which is usually doable on anything but galactic IFN as long as I keep everything perfectly dust free.

Im sticking to my standard longer CCD sub lengths with the cmos, I tried loads of short ones but then I find the image needs stretching a lot more, plus stacking takes too long for me if I have more than 50 subs, I guess im too impatient LOL

• Like 1