NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW AZ EQ6 GT - latitude jackscrew & fork tightening knobs

Jonny_H

Hi all,

A quick question for those who own an AZ EQ6 GT....

Do you find the fork tightening knobs (using the description from the manual) a bit on the useless side?

On mine they don't seem to make any difference whatsoever. I don't get any slippage or anything but regardless if they are undone or done-up reasonably tightly - it doesn't make a blind bit of difference when using the latitude jackscrew (whether with or without load).

Just wondered what they are actually for. I assumed that if done up tightly if would create a noticeable friction when using the latitude jackscrew?

Just curious is all 🤔

Edited by Jonny_H

• Jonny_H changed the title to SW AZ EQ6 GT - latitude jackscrew & fork tightening knobs

I always assumed tightening was necessary to stop the mount shifting. Interesting what you say though because I’ve found on my mount that tightening can change the polar alignment after aligning the elevation. If it’s not  necessary that would be an advantage.  My concern though is that left untightened the mount might shift as the weight distribution changes during tracking, 

Edited by Ouroboros

Don't get me wrong, I still and always have followed the manual - undoing them to adjust latitude and retightening them once done. After all I am sure they must be doing something.

I too assume that their purpose is to stop shift/slippage etc.....I also assumed that if this is the case you would feel a degree of friction to the latitude adjustment if they are tight (since the manual states that you must undo them to change latitude).

The post is purely to satisfy my curiosity 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

"I too assume that their purpose is to stop shift/slippage etc.....I also assumed that if this is the case you would feel a degree of friction to the latitude adjustment if they are tight (since the manual states that you must undo them to change latitude)."

I agree with Ouroborus. There is a risk of the mount moving in altitude, especially if your equipment set-up is nearing the mounts payload capacity.

And if you were to try adjusting the latitude, without slackening the locking knobs, you'll likely strip the threads off the adjusting bolt...

And which point, you will find yourself in 'the brown stuff!' 😞

Chaxastro

"Humour is reason gone mad" Grouch Marx

I agree that on their own they do very little in adding friction. I put some leather washers between the bolt washer and the mount face which do add some significant extra friction. I got them from ebay for very little for a pack of 10 so have 8 left over. They are a bit oversize in overall diameter but were what came needing a 12mm centre hole. They've been on there for about 5 years so far and as it's permanently on a pier they don't get turned much, as the spider testifies. 😁

IMG_3273.jpg.3aa78b83db7071dec123ec8af57e34e9.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg.20b7f3a899b9d4f82a15bd63b7795fce.jpg

Alan

32 minutes ago, chaxastro said:

I agree with Ouroborus. There is a risk of the mount moving in altitude, especially if your equipment set-up is nearing the mounts payload capacity.

And if you were to try adjusting the latitude, without slackening the locking knobs, you'll likely strip the threads off the adjusting bolt...

And which point, you will find yourself in 'the brown stuff!' 😞

Chaxastro

"Humour is reason gone mad" Grouch Marx

Thanks Chaxastro,

When you say adjusting bolt I assume you mean the latitude jackscrew? Or do you mean the adjustment bolts for the fork tightening knobs?

8 minutes ago, symmetal said:

I agree that on their own they do very little in adding friction. I put some leather washers between the bolt washer and the mount face which do add some significant extra friction. I got them from ebay for very little for a pack of 10 so have 8 left over. They are a bit oversize in overall diameter but were what came needing a 12mm centre hole. They've been on there for about 5 years so far and as it's permanently on a pier they don't get turned much, as the spider testifies. 😁

IMG_3273.jpg.3aa78b83db7071dec123ec8af57e34e9.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg.20b7f3a899b9d4f82a15bd63b7795fce.jpg

Alan

Hi Alan,

That's interesting. Did you add those due to a near miss or was it purely on the basis of adding a bit of extra friction due to there being none.....as per this thread? :)

Edited by Jonny_H

20 minutes ago, Jonny_H said:

Hi Alan,

That's interesting. Did you add those due to a near miss or was it purely on the basis of adding a bit of extra friction due to there being none.....as per this thread? :)

Just to add some extra friction. I got the tip from another forum topic many years ago, not sure which one. 🙂

Alan