NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 PRO Syn Scan PC Control

centroid

11 minutes ago, centroid said:

It is the newer version with the USB socket on the handset, but it refuses to "talk" to Cart du Cie or any other similar programs, no matter what I try, so I can only assume that it is for firmware updates only.

See https://nimax-img.de/Produktdownloads/65046_1_Anleitung-EN.pdf

It's the PDF in English and explains the use of the USB (plain USB cable) versus RJ12 which needs a serial connection on Pc (or via an adapter cable).

Edited by StevieDvd
Spelled PDF wrong!!
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, centroid said:

I am assuming that there is serial to USB interface within the handset, as there must be  logical reason why  Skywatcher fit a USB B socket  to the handset. I do intend to get an EQDIR cable when I deploy the mount outside, but I was hoping to test the link to Cart du Ciel via the handset, as a starting point. The irony is, back in my previous astro days, I used my make up my own interface cables, to tailor made lengths. I still have the connectors, and the crimping tool for fitting them, but not the cable. I'm sure that the Lynx is a good cable, but well overpriced IMO. There are several on Amazon, around £10+ cheaper, but I don't know if they are good or bad. 

They may be pricey for a cable, but they just work each time! And they don't alternate COM ports either, something I had to check each time I tried via the handset in PC Mode.

Try this, at the base of the version 5 handset there is the classic usb printer type port. Connect the handset to mount cable in the usual way, turn on the mount, ensure that the mount works through the handset by driving the mount a touch, set the handset to pc direct mode, plug in the cable between handset and pc, start setup eqascom, set the mount options to auto detect, search for the port in setup eqascom by selecting the binocular button, if setup can't find it at 9600 baud select a different speed and search again. Mine finds it everytime at 9600. If eqmod ascom setup states port not found, that's when I run out of idea's as something else is not quite right; if it finds the port, select ok. Only then start eqascom.

Setup eqascom and eqascom are two different programs, the files that you should have are eqascom_setup.vbs and eqascom_run.exe which hopefully downloaded ok.

If it is all good at this point, you should be able to drive the mount through eqascom. If you can't get it to work at this stage it will not work with Cart du Ciel or stellarium. Out of interest if you choose to go the eqdir cable route and remove the handset from the system, the ftdi eqdir cable has a chipset in the cable so is not a straightforward piece of wire. £35 for the Lynx astro cable seems expensive but it does work.

Let us know how you get on, hopefully at this stage you have not got the big hammer out and smashed it to bits... :D All the best

Bit late to the party, but just wanted to clarify a few things that may help the OP.

Yes the mounts use the serial format to send the skywatcher protocol between the handset and the mount.  However it's TTL serial and not true serial.  If you use a true standard USB to Serial adapter to connect a serial cable to the mount you will blow the motor board.   An EQDIR cable is a serial to USB cable, but operates at TTL levels, ie 5v.  Therefore if you want to have a direct connection between the  PC and the mount get a dedicated EQDIR cable from FLO or RVO (other retailers are also available :) )

The alternative is to use a standard A-B USB cable of less than 5m and connect the PC to the USB port on the handset.  Then set the handset to PC-DIRECT mode.  This basically makes the handset act like a TTL serial adapter and will pass through the commands from EQMOD or GSServer to move the mount 

Both options will come up in Windows Device Manager as com ports.  The normal default is 9600 baud (the speed the data is transmitted and received at), but its worth checking the properties to confirm.

From the start menu select ALL PROGRAMS > EQMOD > EQASCOM > TOOLBOX and when the application launches, with EQASCOM selected in the dropdown list select driver setup - This launches the configuration panel for EQMOD.  Ensure the port settings match that of the port in Device Manager.  Here you can also enter the other parameters including the long and latitude of the site, and other options.  Click OK and then click TEST CONNECT - this will launch EQMOD and if all is well will establish connection to the mount.

Hope that helps