Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Collinmation trouble

Hi all at SGL.

Still new and learning.  You've probably had this question a thousand times.

I've been looking at images and videos of collinmation being out but they only show if it's really out. I think mine could be out but not buy much.

The inner white circle seems to be going to the left slightly causing the dot not being central  is this my secondary mirror needs adjusting 20210821_124109_resized.thumb.jpg.b5bda9db893ba98f1f4bc3f6427d9434.jpg

Hi Dave, that looks perfectly good enough for visual use to me. 

I think I'm right in saying that slight offset to the left that you mention is quite normal, certainly in a Newtonian/Dobsonian type of scope. 

Get out with it and enjoy the views! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that the inner white circle is the reflective 45 degree face of the cheshire? If it is you should also see the dark spot in the centre of it, which is the peephole. This dark spot should be inside the middle of the donut

It looks good to me and I'd be happy with that secondary alignment. When it comes to the primary I trust my eye rather that images from a camera or webcam.

21 Aug.jpg

Edited by Spile
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

I'm using a collinmation cap if any help

It's hard to see from that picture as it's overexposed. The black dot (the eye hole in the collimation cap) can't be seen in the picture, but it should be inside the 'doughnut'. Adjust the primary slightly, do that it's central. The secondary mirror looks fine.

• Thanks 1

I think we all go through this stage where uncertainty breads uncertainty. I think if you take your scope and “do” a star test it will give you clear indication if the mirrors are lined up. 
As others have written , it’s difficult  to see properly in the photo … I think ( putting my own opinion in as usual :) ) maybe the centre spot is a little to the right , but … you have the best view of this , not me . what are the views like ? If you can focus on a star or use high magnification on the moon then I reckon you are already collimated . The point is , please don’t let the collimation issue spoil the hobby . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

I think we all go through this stage where uncertainty breads uncertainty. I think if you take your scope and “do” a star test it will give you clear indication if the mirrors are lined up. 
As others have written , it’s difficult  to see properly in the photo … I think ( putting my own opinion in as usual :) ) maybe the centre spot is a little to the right , but … you have the best view of this , not me . what are the views like ? If you can focus on a star or use high magnification on the moon then I reckon you are already collimated . The point is , please don’t let the collimation issue spoil the hobby . 

Exactly THIS! Don't be scared of collimation... it gets easier (honest). :)

• Like 2

Just done a star test and everything looked good.

Nice clear skies for a couple of hours nothing better than to swing the beast around looking for dso's couldn't find any but a least it's a nice full moon with Jupiter and Saturn out to see .

Thanks for all your help.

Clear skies

Edited by Dave scutt
  • Like 2