NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Relative humidity & scope storage

Hello,

What are folks' experiences w OTA storage & humidity?  I've seen some manufacturers' recommendations on storage being recommended in a normal temperature room with relative humidity no more than 80%.

I'm thinking of storing some bigger, higher thermal mass kit in an outdoor shed.  The shed stands on a concrete base & has a rubber roof.  There are the inevitable cracks & gaps between the panels/slats/eaves (whatever they are called!) in the shed walls so there is circulation but not draughts.  The inside stays dry (the shed is made from treated wood with water repellent paint also applied externally).  Humidity seems to hover (so far) between mid-50s to mid-60s%.  There is no power so putting in a dehumidifier is not possible.

Would it be ok to leave kit in an environment like that - should I also put a bucket of silica cat litter down?

Thank you!

Vin

I keep my gear permanently setup bar camera literally outside all year round under a telegizmos 365 cover I take the cover off every now and then when it’s nice to let it breathe, been outside for 3 years and not noticed any damage or degradation, so in a shed I would say go for it, scopes get drenched when dew and frost is about, they are designed to be outdoors after all

• Like 2

I keep my astro gear stored indoors in my climate controlled house and have had no degradation to any surfaces including mirrors after 20+ years.

Some stuff stored in my shed gets a layer of mildew and/or rust build up over time, so I would never put anything valuable in there beyond a lawnmower.  I'm in Texas about 200 miles from the Gulf coast.  Dew points in the summer tend to be in the mid-70s (about 24 C).

If you can keep good air circulation through your shed, you might be okay, though.

• Like 1

Keeping things in a shed outside is what everybody with an observatory does!  The key, though, is *ventilation* which really help to reduce any problems associated with humidity.

• Like 1

Thanks all.  Good to hear that @Craig a although @Louis Dthe mildew sounds scary (part of me wonders whether that's the heat & humidity of tropical Gulf of Mexico but you're 200 miles inland - is that the famous Texas dustbowl?).  Yes I think you're right @AKB & the ventilation level will be key - will keep an eye on things.

Right now there actually isn't much of a temperature difference between keeping an OTA in the house or a shed, so perhaps it will only become a choice that needs to be made as it gets colder when cool down periods become more relevant.  Until then I'll keep a weather eye on the contents of the shed & its humidity levels - I think if it stays mid-60s or below that will be good enough for me.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, vineyard said:

@Louis Dthe mildew sounds scary (part of me wonders whether that's the heat & humidity of tropical Gulf of Mexico but you're 200 miles inland - is that the famous Texas dustbowl?).

No, it's just slightly less humid.  You have to go at least another 200 miles inland before it starts getting arid.  It's still pretty humid out there, though.

• Like 1