NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope attachment for a mobile phone?

I have a Sky Watcher 130p and I'd love to take some images with my phone attached to it.

Any good recommendations for an attachment that will provide good results for an Android phone?

I bought a cheap and nasty effort last year, which went straight in the bin because it was useless.

Cheers

This is the best budget phone holder I’ve found. Works really well. Beware the somewhat similar looking cheaper ones on Amazon that aren’t any  good. It’s  the cam locks on the eyepiece holder and the phone postion adjustment that is the difference.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prismáticos-Monoculares-Telescopios-Astronómicos-Microscopios/dp/B07QLB16Y9/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=telescope+smartphone+holder&qid=1629024261&sr=8-19

The Celestron one is good but has some downsides as well but overall quite popular but easily knocked out of adjustment as the phone postion adjustments aren’t lockable.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/celestron-nexyz-3-axis-universal-smartphone-adapter.html

Photo taken with the budget holder.

5A0D02F1-2509-44AB-897F-EC47C6B894C2.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

In the past I owned a celestron nexyz phone adapter and although pricey compared to the budget ones in my experience far better and easily get the target on the screen of your mobile phone quickly with the 3 axis adjustments. I've owned a budget and the celestron and would definitely recommend the celestron. Only sold is as I went to using a dslr with my scope. 

This is now my favourite smartphone holder. Simple device and basically a thick aluminium plate that screws directly onto an eyepiece if has a thread on the top. I have mine setup on a zoom eyepiece. Really light weight as well.

Much quicker than the Celestron one to setup and not floppy like the all plastic Celestron one either. Set the side to side postion of the phone once using the bracket and lock it in position then it’s simply a matter of clipping the phone into place and making sure the lens is centered in the opening, screw the eyepiece on and that’s it. Just a few seconds.

Sold the Celestron as it just wasn’t getting used. 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8655_TS-Optics-Smartphone-adapter-with-T2-thread--for-telescopes-and-spotting-scopes.html

17B400FA-A6CB-4E95-AD0A-1B14455D0B23.jpeg

4748534A-F9CB-4993-886B-1113B7EB1B64.jpeg