Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon D5300 no live view on camera when connected with USB

Michael1971

Hello all, 

I recently got my modified Nikon D5300 and I am setting up as I type this. I got all my gear connected ok, got live view working in APT.

But on the camera itself I am unable to activate live view while the USB is connected. If I take the cable out, then it works. (I use that for focusing with my bathinov mask)

I don't like doin that, putting the cable out..

Is this how it should be working, or did I missed a setting somewhere? 

I could not find it, though I am not familiar with Nikon menus..

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Edited by Michael1971

Thanks for responding, yes my canon camera's could do this no problem.

I guess its how the Nikon is build.  Also AP mode doesnt work when no lens attached.. (for calibation frames)

To bad since this is my "new" astro camera.. lol

10 minutes ago, Michael1971 said:

Also AP mode doesnt work when no lens attached

Does it work if you set it to manual exposure? My D3100 and D3400 refuse to take photos when attached to the scope if I haven't set that

You don’t need live view set to 5 sec exposure in apt iso 1600 , I used to use same camera , regards taking flats set exposure to middle of histogram in Apt that works fine for that camera , when imaging set iso to 200 this camera is iso invariant, it’s an excellent Astro camera certainly had a better response to red channel than my cannon , Ap mode doesn’t work unless lens attached is correct, 

Edited by bottletopburly

On 13/08/2021 at 22:19, Mognet said:

Does it work if you set it to manual exposure? My D3100 and D3400 refuse to take photos when attached to the scope if I haven't set that

Thank you both.

In APT taking flats requires AP mode, but you can get around it by using manual and then, like bottletop said, making a few few exposures till  histogram is in then middle and then use that exposure time for your whole flat set.

I also discovered that if you put the manual video mode to off (in the camera setup) , you can set the live view to bulp which makes the screen brighter (other wise its stuck at 1/50)

Hope I can test the camera again soon, the weather gods are against me lately.