NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unguided IC 1396 area

Trevor N

Fixed a Canon 1000D to a SW ED72 and let it run unguided on an HEQ5. 28 x 3 min subs. The light pollution filter has caused some flaring and the flattener needs more careful spacing but pleased overall . The scope did it’s own thing while I scanned the skies with some bins

IC 1395 ED72 28 x 3 min subs a_filtered.jpg

Edited by Trevor N
  • Like 10

16 minutes ago, Trevor N said:

Thanks Lee. I must admit it was nice to not have to set a tracking system up. Time to lay back and scan the Milky Way with bins and let the scope do it’s own thing. Lazy imaging I guess !!

Stunning result for "lazy imaging" Trevor 🙂  Sounds a perfect summer evening!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Unguided is so much better and CMOS is making much easier with the shorter subs lengths .... a lovey image!

Thanks Peter. It’s certainly something I intend to do more of in the future. Much easier to set up and as you say the modern sensors are very good

52 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Stunning result for "lazy imaging" Trevor 🙂  Sounds a perfect summer evening!

It was a good evening Pete. I think the HEQ5 would probably go longer at that focal length. Plenty to experiment with as the skies get darker !

• Like 1

Very nice. Unguided is great.  Do you get much drift?  I get some and correct every 30 min, which reduces the preprocessing crop. Also, I think it might eliminate walking noise as I have not seen that. It’s like a manual dither.  I am shooting at 2800mm though, so drift is amplified for me.  At your focal length it is probably minimal.  But still worth correcting for if it eliminates walking noise.  Maybe collecting a bunch of much shorter subs would help with the walking noise—the thought just came to me. No idea if it would work