Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AUGUST 1/2ND - GANYMEDE/EUROPA, JUPITER AND SATURN'S BRIGHT RINGS.

paulastro

I was out from 10.50pm set up with the Tecnosky 102ED F7 on the Scopetech Mount Zero - first light with the latter on the night sky since it arrived on Friday.

At this time the seeing was quite poor between cloud.  In the Tecnosky at x180 using Orthos in the binoviewer giving  I couldn't split Ganymede and Europa in the dodgy seeing. Later, when the seeing had Improved a bit I could glimpse John's snowman, in better moments. 🙂

As John reports, I could also see a lot of detail on Jupiter at times, particularly when my automatic cloud filter came into play!  

I observed the occultation until 11.45pm when cloud came in, and though I stayed out until after 1.00am, I never had another view, so missed the satellites separating.  Still,  pleased to see it at all.

Saturn looked fabulous at times and it was very noticeable how much brighter the rings were when compared with the disc than usual.  To me they looked pretty much the same brightness.  Of course, it is usual for the rings to appear brighter just before oppostion which is on August 2nd.

A footnote re the Scopetech Mount Zero. After giving it the 'tap test' it would take up to a couple of seconds to settle down which is quite acceptable - who in their fight mind taps their telescope when they are observing anyway!? 😁   The good thing was that when I used the slow motions, the image didn't shake or tremor at all - excellent!

A very enjoyable session.

• Like 3

😞 Cloud a constant here unfortunately 😞

I'd seen that around 10pm the cloud was patchy and fast moving, so parked my speedy set-up  102 frac just inside the back door ready to deploy at a moment's notice, and went out every 10 minutes to see if there might be a gap in the right area, but the gaps closed up, and not a thing to see.

Ah well, next time, eh ?

Heather

I'm very new to astronomy having just recently got a telescope and last night was my first time taking the telescope out of my light polluted back yard and into the countryside. I checked the clearoutside website earlier in the day and forecast was giving a few hours of clear skies. When I got out of the car things were looking really good, clear skies and a shocking number of stars visible.

Unfortunately that's where the positives ended. I got the telescope setup and pointed at Jupiter, it was a wavy mess, I'm guessing it was because my telescope hadn't cooled down at this stage. I keep the scope in my garage so I had hoped it wouldn't need long to acclimate. I spent some time looking at Saturn which wasn't any better and then thought I'd try my luck with some DSO higher in the sky but as I looked towards the north all I could see was cloud. So back to Jupiter it was, which was starting to look a bit better, I could easily make out the centre band, the clouds rolling in from the north helped a little because Jupiter was so bright it was hard to look at. After a few minutes though the night was lost to the clouds so I packed up and went home with my tail between my legs.

All in all, an enjoyable night 🙂

8 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

😞 Cloud a constant here unfortunately 😞

I'd seen that around 10pm the cloud was patchy and fast moving, so parked my speedy set-up  102 frac just inside the back door ready to deploy at a moment's notice, and went out every 10 minutes to see if there might be a gap in the right area, but the gaps closed up, and not a thing to see.

Ah well, next time, eh ?

Heather

At least you tried Heather.  I enjoy the prep and setting up the rig for an event even if it turns out I don't see the event in the end.  As you say, there's always another time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great report Paul. Your descriptions are really making me look forward to seeing the Jupiter and Saturn with my 102EDR and binoviewers - a setup which  gave me amazing views of Mars last year. Might have to travel out to a country site with a clear horizon as they seem pretty low. 

37 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Great report Paul. Your descriptions are really making me look forward to seeing the Jupiter and Saturn with my 102EDR and binoviewers - a setup which  gave me amazing views of Mars last year. Might have to travel out to a country site with a clear horizon as they seem pretty low. 

Thank you Roberti.   In this part of Yorkshire, Jupiter currently gets as high as 23 degrees when it transits the meridian.  Of course, if you're N of here then it will be lower, but if you are further S it will be higher. up to 26 or 27 degrees.  You should be able to see it if you have a long S facing garden as long as you haven't tall trees or buildings too close.

Good luck.

6 hours ago, Sigma said:

I'm very new to astronomy having just recently got a telescope and last night was my first time taking the telescope out of my light polluted back yard and into the countryside. I checked the clearoutside website earlier in the day and forecast was giving a few hours of clear skies. When I got out of the car things were looking really good, clear skies and a shocking number of stars visible.

Unfortunately that's where the positives ended. I got the telescope setup and pointed at Jupiter, it was a wavy mess, I'm guessing it was because my telescope hadn't cooled down at this stage. I keep the scope in my garage so I had hoped it wouldn't need long to acclimate. I spent some time looking at Saturn which wasn't any better and then thought I'd try my luck with some DSO higher in the sky but as I looked towards the north all I could see was cloud. So back to Jupiter it was, which was starting to look a bit better, I could easily make out the centre band, the clouds rolling in from the north helped a little because Jupiter was so bright it was hard to look at. After a few minutes though the night was lost to the clouds so I packed up and went home with my tail between my legs.

All in all, an enjoyable night 🙂

Sigma, it sounds as if you've made a good start.

Dark skies are much better for deep sky observing, but certainly not necessary for planetary and lunar observing.  Most of the planets have more than enough light even when using smaller telescopes - as you have already found out.

If you can avoid lights shinning directly on yourself or into your telescope you should be fine observing at home.  You can hide  in the shade of your shed or trees etc, and if there aren't any, put a black cloth over your head and shoulders. (easy to make one out of some black-out material).

Also, though you could have had cooling issues causing your 'wavy mess', this might not be the case.

it could have been bad seeing caused by the air being turbulent, particularly if you were observing when the planets were low down.  Its best to observe when they are on the meridian - due south when they are at their highest if you can.  

Seeing will vary on most nights, so patience is a virtue.  Your best views will be when the seeing is at its best, some nights being better than others.

You will also find  over time you 'learn' to be a better observer.  With increasing experience you will find you see more detail more often.  Like any skill, the more you observe the better observer you will become.

Good luck.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 2