Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Torn between HEQ5 or EQ6-R? Opinions please.

Mike73

I'm currently using a Redcat 51 with guider, asi 1600mm on a Skyguider Pro and fairly sturdy tripod, it works great to a point but I'm already seeing reasons to upgrade the tracker stack up.

Most of the time I will be imaging from dark sites but the size and weight of either mount isn't really a problem.

Taking into consideration that I'd probably do a Rowan belt upgrade at some point the price of the two mounts is fairly close.

Considering that I'm new to imaging and the HEQ5 has been around for a long time and probably what most imagers started with, is this still the way to go?

Power consumption... At the moment I have a 34Ah AGM and from what I've read the EQ6-R uses double the amperage than the HEQ5 while slewing. I have a camper van with a 110Ah Leisure battery and at a push I could plug into but would rather not as that powers the heater etc and I wouldn't want to run it too low. Do you think I'd need a bigger dedicated battery for the EQ6-R?

I'm sure similar questions have been asked before but if anyone has any advice they can offer that would be great.

• Like 1

My kit (in signature below) is heavier than yours but my mount (similar to HEQ5) handles it with no problems. If you see yourself sticking with your current 'scope and camera for a while, I'd go HEQ5. It's smaller, lighter, and more portable than an EQ6-R. Just my opinion of course 😛

• Like 1

I saved this from data posted by another member, shows the EQ6-R current draw.

I have this mount and it is excellent , but mine is fixed on a pier (its a heavy beast)

As mentioned above for a lighter option the HEQ5 will perform well with your current kit

EQ6_R current draw.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lee_P said:

My kit (in signature below) is heavier than yours but my mount (similar to HEQ5) handles it with no problems. If you see yourself sticking with your current 'scope and camera for a while, I'd go HEQ5. It's smaller, lighter, and more portable than an EQ6-R. Just my opinion of course 😛

Makes sense, thanks Lee.

I've been using Astrobin to see what mount and scope people pair up and I guess what was beginning to sway me away from the HEQ5 (which until this afternoon I was dead set on getting) was seeing the lack of HEQ5's and more NEQ6's. I know that's no reason to just copy everyone else but it was enough to sow a seed of doubt.

BTW excellent website you have, bookmarked. :)

1 hour ago, fifeskies said:

I saved this from data posted by another member, shows the EQ6-R current draw.

I have this mount and it is excellent , but mine is fixed on a pier (its a heavy beast)

As mentioned above for a lighter option the HEQ5 will perform well with your current kit

That kinda surprised me but in reality it doesn't really draw too much. But maybe if you were using it for visual it would be a different matter.

• Thanks 1

Depends on the weight of your future equipment.

The HEQ5 mount is a little agrarian, but it does the job and it's relatively easy to carry alone (15 kg without the counterweights, or so). I have put up to a C9.25, and it can handle it for visual and planetary imaging.

For DSO imaging, I would prefer an EQ6-R myself, if I had the money.

N.F.

1 hour ago, nfotis said:

Depends on the weight of your future equipment.

The HEQ5 mount is a little agrarian, but it does the job and it's relatively easy to carry alone (15 kg without the counterweights, or so). I have put up to a C9.25, and it can handle it for visual and planetary imaging.

For DSO imaging, I would prefer an EQ6-R myself, if I had the money.

N.F.

Yes but the problem in being new to astro imaging is you dont have any idea what equipment you may need or want in the future.

From experience I know that my part of the UK does fairly well for clear skies but it does get windy, the nights when I could image with say a Newt or anything too large on any equatorial mount would be few and far between but I think a fairly wide field better suited to my circumstances.

Right now I think I'm going for the HEQ5. :)

Windy conditions are a challenge even on the EQ6-R mount, when speaking about long exposures.

If I had additional funds, I think that I would love going for the EQ6-R myself.

N.F.