Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trying to start guiding...can't get camera to work?

Hi all, after finally figuring out my EQM-35, and obtaining manual focus with my nikon d3400 on a WO ZS73ii with matching flattener, I'm now looking to get autoguiding sorted. So, I purchased a zwo asi 120mm mini camera and a WO uniguide 32mm guidescope. Visually, I can get both working in unison perfectly (I use the scope as a lightweight travel companion for observing currently).

But whenever I try adding the camera, I have no idea what I am doing. I've tried following PHD2 tutorials etc to no avail. No matter how I try to focus/play with camera settings, exposure times, gain etc - I always get either a pure white image in the daytime, or a static filled image at night. I know the guidescope isn't off target, because for observing I have the guider aligned with the main scope perfectly and in daytime I have it trained on a clear distant object, and during the night I have it on various bright stars - Vega, Arcturus etc. But nothing I do produces any sort of image with stars/the distant object visible. 

Anyone have any ideas? 

16 minutes ago, LoveFromGallifrey said:

Hi all, after finally figuring out my EQM-35, and obtaining manual focus with my nikon d3400 on a WO ZS73ii with matching flattener, I'm now looking to get autoguiding sorted. So, I purchased a zwo asi 120mm mini camera and a WO uniguide 32mm guidescope. Visually, I can get both working in unison perfectly (I use the scope as a lightweight travel companion for observing currently).

But whenever I try adding the camera, I have no idea what I am doing. I've tried following PHD2 tutorials etc to no avail. No matter how I try to focus/play with camera settings, exposure times, gain etc - I always get either a pure white image in the daytime, or a static filled image at night. I know the guidescope isn't off target, because for observing I have the guider aligned with the main scope perfectly and in daytime I have it trained on a clear distant object, and during the night I have it on various bright stars - Vega, Arcturus etc. But nothing I do produces any sort of image with stars/the distant object visible. 

Anyone have any ideas? 

This does sound like a focusing issue. I had the static/fuzzy like image when using my asi120mm mini. But when I got it into focus everything came together. I would suggest trying to get it to focus during the daytime in some distant object and then fine tune it at night.  I was surprised how far I had to extend the focuser (different guide scope to you but still). Also sometimes you need the extension tubes that came with the asi120mm mini.

Edited by Chefgage

3 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

This does sound like a focusing issue. I had the static/fuzzy like image when using my asi120mm mini. But when I got it into focus everything came together. I would suggest trying to get it to focus during the daytime in some distant object and then fine tune it at night. 

Thanks! I'll give it another go in a second! I've just found a comment from someone with the same setup on a different forum that has given me a better idea of where to place the camera for focus with my particular guidescope, so I'm going to give that a try and see where I end up. Its so frustrating for someone so technologically challenged - I'm hoping it's all worth it in the end! 🤣

Edited by LoveFromGallifrey

2 minutes ago, LoveFromGallifrey said:

Thanks! I'll give it another go in a second! I've just found a comment from someone with the same setup on a different forum that has given me a better idea of where to place the camera for focus with my particular guidescope, so I'm going to give that a try and see where I end up. Its so frustrating for someone so technologically challenged - I'm hoping it's all worth it in the end! 🤣

I have a slightly different guide scope (although 32mm at f/4). I found a YouTube video where the person actually gave the measurements of how far out the camera needs to be and also how far out the focuser needs to be. I did this and was very close to being in focus.

Just had a look and to achieve focuse I need to pull the camera out by 27mm and have the focuser out by 30mm. But like I said I have a different guide scope (astro essentials 32mm f/4) but the measurements might get you somewhere near.

3 hours ago, Chefgage said:

Just had a look and to achieve focuse I need to pull the camera out by 27mm and have the focuser out by 30mm. But like I said I have a different guide scope (astro essentials 32mm f/4) but the measurements might get you somewhere near.

Hey! Those measurements actually really helped, thank you! I had the setup on my az4 briefly tonight for a teeny bit of observing before bed (I have work in the morning), but I had a play with the camera again and managed to get it focused on first the moon, then arcturus, and I've left it in place for the next time I get a chance to stick it on my goto mount. Hopefully it'll help somewhat, especially if I can learn how to use the guiding to align - I can't see polaris from my house, so my currently polar alignment is a matter of educated guessing with a questionably accurate compass. 

• Like 1

Sharpcap pro will help with polar alignment, it's cheap and straightforward to use,  it's software and can use your guide cam to do the alignment, it walks you through every step and doesnt need polaris to be visible, cost is about £12 for yearly license. 

9 hours ago, dark knight said:

Sharpcap pro will help with polar alignment, it's cheap and straightforward to use,  it's software and can use your guide cam to do the alignment, it walks you through every step and doesnt need polaris to be visible, cost is about £12 for yearly license. 

Thanks! I've just gone and purchased the Pro version :)