Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Esprit 100ED OTA rings and mounts?

Hi everyone

I have an Esprit 100 and the supplied dovetail is extremely short 

Can you please advise what are the thread specs of the 4 holes on top and bottom of the stock rings?

I also want to fabricate a dovetail AND top plate. 

The scope is currently abroad, and there is no possibility to order any plates and the local knowledge is ZERO?

I would be extremely grateful if someone can provide:

1- thread and size characteristics of the 4 screw holes of the OTA rings

2- what are the specs of a losmandy dovetail? Cross sectional measurements?

3- I had a look at Sky watchers 335mm dovetail and it’s sold out everywhere. I will try to fabricate a similar one. On FLO it says it has 10 M8x1.25 and 10 1/4”-20UNC screw holes, but the diagram shows at least 40 holes?

4- Which holes on the dovetail would be used for the OTA rings? The M8s or the UNC ones?

5- I Found a diagram of the Skywatcher dovetail on TS Optics that has also confused me, as it shows M8, M6 and UNC?

Many thanks

Ossi

EF943356-6DF8-45FE-8C9C-E25ADA5F9FA2.png

9FA78E54-D8F2-4213-AE85-62524331754D.jpeg

3E1497F2-855D-41AC-AF70-86E95EB93062.jpeg

I am sure FLO would be able to help you with this.  I changed my Esprit 100 dovetail to a longer Vixen one, and pretty sure I used the Losmandy screws that were already in the short dovetail. 

Carole  

Ossi - 

You need the imperial version of the ADM Losmandy plates. I would suggest avoiding the Skywatcher plates. If you go here, you will see that a number of reviewers pretty much had this exact question. The rings on the Esprit, like pretty much all rings, are M6. When in doubt - go here to get screws. I keep M6 and M8 screws of various lengths because they are always needed. 

Not to disagree with Carole above - but I would also advise a Losmandy over a Vixen dovetail for the Esprit (assuming weight isn't a major issue)

Hope this helps. 

Best

Simon

Edited by SimonIRE

1 hour ago, SimonIRE said:

Ossi - 

You need the imperial version of the ADM Losmandy plates. I would suggest avoiding the Skywatcher plates. If you go here, you will see that a number of reviewers pretty much had this exact question. The rings on the Esprit, like pretty much all rings, are M6. When in doubt - go here to get screws. I keep M6 and M8 screws of various lengths because they are always needed. 

Not to disagree with Carole above - but I would also advise a Losmandy over a Vixen dovetail for the Esprit (assuming weight isn't a major issue)

Hope this helps. 

Best

Simon

Thanks Simon

I’ll take that on board. I’ll go for the 11” imperial then. 

Issue is, I need the dimensions to try and fabricate this abroad until I can get the plate sent over from London. 

You mentioned that I should go for the Imperial one? But the rings are M6 metric as you’ve advised? I’m confused?

If the rings are metric, shouldn’t I go for the metric plate?

Best regards

Ossi

Hi Ossi,

The ring holes are M6 - I am pretty sure of this. 

My advise regarding the Imperial plate is based on the reviewers; several have Esprit scopes and following discussion with FLO, were advised to get the Imperial plates. If you have any doubt, just email FLO - they will answer the same day. 

Simon

• Like 1