NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pier plans ? and general advice for pier newbie.

powerlord

Has anyone got pier plans they can share ? something I could modify/share with a local fabricator ?

also, a sort of 'how to' ?

I'm looking to stick one in the garden at centre of circular slabbed patio. It has one circular slab in the middle.

I'm thinking - get a replacement of that, dig/bash that one out, dig down, and that's the foundation hole. Then - what ? is it just 4 rebars into concrete ? drill 4 holes in new slab for rebar, assemble. Then once dry, fit new pier over. Need to have some sort of gasket between bottom pier plate and slab to allow it to evenly tighten and not break slab..

It's for an EQ6. Not sure I really understand the multibolt patterns folk seem to put on top of their piers ? don't I just need summit that looks like my EQ6 tripod at the top ? Or, in fact the actual top of the EQ6 tripod welded in there ?

And how important is the north pin position ? I mean, PA moves around through the days/year - do you just set pin as best you can to actual north or is it more important than that ? I can imagine it not being correct enough, and then running out of ALT adjustment one day to get PA, etc. Or is that why people have a seperation between the pier and the 'adapter plate' and the mount ?

And how tall ? I mean ideally I'd have it 20 meters tall right ? see everything. Though slightly impractical. So is their a common max compromise? Standing on a step to reach stuff isn't ideal, but the higher the better too.. 1.5m feels quite low, but easy to use. 2m feels better for visibility, but will need steps to put stuff on, etc...

Sorry if some of these are numpty questions. There are of course lots of search results for people doing piers but each is different, and trying to pull out what is common to all is tricky.

Oh and, I'm in Suffolk.. if by any bit of luck someone has built one and got it fabricated locally, please tell all.

stu

I am going to have a go at a Todmorden type pier, a few dense concrete blocks later and its sorted. I can't see it looking very pretty but I am sure that it can be dressed up in some way.

As far as the pier plate goes, have a look at the base of your mount and if its anything like the HEQ5, its a single 10mm threaded hole with a location for the north peg. It does sit in a cut out but other than a location fixing, I cant see the point of that at the moment so I am just putting the mount on a flat plate. The multi-bolt patterns are quite simply one pier plate fits multiple mounts and multiple piers so its one size fits all. You will likely only use one of those holes plus the north peg for the mount.

The North peg in my mind is quite important as it will enable polar alignment. If you fix it outside of the range of the mount adjustments, you won't get polar alignment. Its no different to lining up the North leg of your tripod.

I am going to create a space between the pier top mounting plate and the fixing plate for two reasons, the first so that there is access to the mount fixing bolt and the second to enable me to get the plate as level as possible. I have read differing thoughts on if the plate needs to be level or not, but as far as I am concerned, I need all the help I can get so by making the pier mount level, I have removed one challenge.

As for pier height, I am going to make the height of the pier such that it makes it easy to view through the polar scope. 

Hope that helps in some small way, good luck with your build.

Edited by M40
correction
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just curious as to how the Gorilla glue is working now that the pier has been in service for a while.  I am trying to decide if Gorilla glue or construction adhesive would be as good as thin set mortar.

I plan to build my first Todmorden pier at my new dark site as soon as it cools off some.

Thanks