NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tearaway AZ-GTi

Ags

My AZ-GTi has an annoying habit of spontaneously slewing in a random direction, usually straight up. It doesn't lose alignment during these mad escapades. It seems to happen every couple of minutes if I am pointing in the vicinity of Polaris, less frequently in other parts of the sky.

Tell me there is an easy fix! (One that doesn't involve just smashing it with a hammer 😒 ) It is out of warranty by now.

To be honest I don't need goto any more, only tracking for unguided photography. I'm thinking of getting a second hand EQ3-2 and putting an RA drive on it. Only drawback is I would rather live without the weight of an EQ mount.

Edited by Ags

That's a good point. I've seen this malfunction with fresh AA batteries and a SkyWatcher power tank. The power tank is really old now, I need to replace it in any case, so hopefully that is it. Maybe I could even try overvolting it. If smoke starts streaming out of it, at least I have an excuse to buy something new.

Maybe this?

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p12444_Bresser-Mobile-Power-Station-100-Watt.html

Edited by Ags

Quick Q - has this behaviour started only since you updated to the new app? I know you had some shenanigans with the app, but managed to get everything working once you got the new version.

I seem to remember reading something from a few years ago where there was a similar problem with the app but got fixed in an update - could be the bug has crept back in? 

• 1 month later...

Reading the odd post these are some ideas @Ags

- are the various updates in sync, such as the motor controller firmware etc.

- check your location setting, is auto right for you or does your GPS drop out and manual might work better (maybe that causes your random slewing hen GPS is lost)

- there is a 120 page thread just on this mount which may glean other ideas

Just got to identify the hole your issue falls into.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieDvd said:

There is mention of a fix in the latest firmware for a 'runaway' mount and a big thread o CN where people had the isuue and have tested it on latest firmware and seen improvement.

Yes, saw that - quite excited about this! Zapping that firmware tonight 😀

• Like 3