NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barlow 2x or 3x

Hi! I own an Astromaster 130EQ F.5

I have seen Júpiter through a 6mm lens (107x), I Saw it sharp but very bright, thats why I am looking for a barlow, I've seen good opinions about x-cel barlow 2x and 3x  but I don't know which one it would be better for my scope... 

I am open to other barlow lenses. I said those ones because were the first in Amazon. 

What would you do if You were me?

Greetings from Argentina

51 minutes ago, Markkk said:

Hi! I own an Astromaster 130EQ F.5

I have seen Júpiter through a 6mm lens (107x), I Saw it sharp but very bright, thats why I am looking for a barlow, I've seen good opinions about x-cel barlow 2x and 3x  but I don't know which one it would be better for my scope... 

I am open to other barlow lenses. I said those ones because were the first in Amazon. 

What would you do if You were me?

Greetings from Argentina

Magnification isn't everything. I would get a 2x barlow, because I haven't seen many quality 3x barlows, and I think that 200x magnification would be more than enough for viewing Jupiter with your telescope.  Just my opinions

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Markkk said:

I have the same scope and I use the Baader 2.25x Barlow https://www.firstlightoptics.com/barlow-eyepieces/baader-classic-q-225x-barlow.html.

It has option to go down to just 1.3x too.

As the mirror is spherical the sharpness of close up shots of planets is not that clear. Thats my theory anyway :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

As the mirror is spherical the sharpness of close up shots of planets is not that clear. Thats my theory anyway :)

If the OP can keep the object exactly centered at high power, that's probably the best use case for a spherical mirror.  It's still not great, but it's better than trying to use it for wide field views.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Louis D said:

If the OP can keep the object exactly centered at high power,

Thats hard with the mount provided with the scope. Trust me I have tried :) And the focuser doesnt have a lock to hold it in place either, so prone to small movements on contact. But hey, I have been using that OTA for a while now and it can certainly provide hours of enjoyment and a few lovely images too (see my signature) when put on a more stable mount.

• Like 1