Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Budget eye pieces for skymax 127

Can't see much below 30 degrees South from my garden, so I picked up a second hand Skymax 127 (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-ota.html) as as a portable planetary imaging scope. It's also light enough to be a grab and go visual scope for use with the star adventurer when we're camping, but as I've never much been in to visual astronomy, I have no idea what eyepieces I'd need. 

Can anyone recommend 2 or 3 of budget eyepieces? Focal length is 1500MM, F/12.

No need to go for anything of particular high quality. It'd be good to get a decent view of planets, and whilst I realize the OTA isn't great at DSOs, I'm happy to have a go with it. 

I've generally found svbony hard to beat when you don't want to spend too much, so they'd probably be my default choice.

I haven't had a chance to try my recently acquired 20mm SVBONY 68 degree in my 127 Mak yet, but it does reasonably well in the central 50% of the FOV at f/6.  It should perform very well at f/12 for 75x.  They're £29.99 shipped from ebay UK.

Although the 6mm and 9mm SVBONY 68 degree eyepieces are well regarded for sharpness, field of view, and eye relief, they have a lot of kidney beaning (SAEP) going on, so keep that in mind if you're sensitive to it.

I'd recommend the 8mm BST Starguider for highest power viewing (188x) with the 127 Mak.  It does quite well in mine without SAEP for a bit more money.  I'd pair it with the 12mm for a bit lower power (125x).  Bought together, FLO offers a 10% discount.

At the low power end, a 32mm GSO/Revelation/Astro Essentials Super Plossl works fine to provide the max field of view at 47x in a 1.25" eyepiece without breaking the bank.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I haven't had a chance to try my recently acquired 20mm SVBONY 68 degree in my 127 Mak yet, but it does reasonably well in the central 50% of the FOV at f/6.  It should perform very well at f/12 for 75x.  They're £29.99 shipped from ebay UK.

Although the 6mm and 9mm SVBONY 68 degree eyepieces are well regarded for sharpness, field of view, and eye relief, they have a lot of kidney beaning (SAEP) going on, so keep that in mind if you're sensitive to it.

I'd recommend the 8mm BST Starguider for highest power viewing (188x) with the 127 Mak.  It does quite well in mine without SAEP for a bit more money.  I'd pair it with the 12mm for a bit lower power (125x).  Bought together, FLO offers a 10% discount.

At the low power end, a 32mm GSO/Revelation/Astro Essentials Super Plossl works fine to provide the max field of view at 47x in a 1.25" eyepiece without breaking the bank.

Perfect - thank you. I'll take a look at those in the morning ;)

I've used the astro essentials from FLO with my Skymax 127 and I've no issues with them and quite cheap, though I hardly do visual anymore these are great ep at a great price. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

Consider a zoom eyepiece for the planets. They don't have wide view but you don't really need it for planets and the convenience of the zoom is that you can pick the magnification that is best for the conditions. The 7-21mm Svbony one is a good performer in scopes over F7, sharp from edge to edge in my experience.

I have the 127 SW Mak and it can go above 200x in ideal conditions, I think it's limit is with about 6mm EP (250x). But conditions are rarely that good, especially with the planets being low on the horizon.

• Like 1