SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pelican Nebula first light for WO GT81

Snoani

Good morning

After struggling for some time with tilt on my APO, I decided to replace it with a William Optics GT81 IV and 6A adjustable reducer/flattener.  It arrived on Tuesday and so despite the almost full moon, I had to take advantage of the clear sky last night to give it a test, and very happy I am with the results.  

I turned the scope towards the Pelican Nebula, while taking advantage of the wide field of view to also include a large proportion of the North American Nebula.  Following image is made up 23 x 6 minute Ha subs using an ASI1600 Pro, calibrated with dark but not flats or dark flats.  

It is a bit grainy due to the saturation from the moon but given this unfavourable condition it was a successful test.  I no longer have tilt as far as I can tell, although I do have some slightly odd shaped stars on one corner but I think this is because I didn't polar align the mount as carefully as I normally would.  I look forward to the first proper night of imaging, possibly returning to this target.  

Thanks for looking. 

Jem 

Pelican.thumb.jpg.f80eb02e8b661fd7bd7e5bd9cd9eb90d.jpg

• Like 7

very nice, I'll be trying the same thing with my new ASI1600. And to me, this should be called map of the world - north america, britain, ireland, europe, spain, mediteranian, suez canal, saudia arabia... its all there.

I reckon it's aliens sending us a message. 🤪

• Haha 2