NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyWatcher AZ5 for C6 SCT?

Ags

Currently I use my C6 on a Berlebach Castor at night and an ST80 and Herschel Wedge on an AZT6 by day. I also have an AZ-GTi, but I only ever seem to use that for imaging. 

The idea of the Berlebach Castor was to mount the C6 alongside an ST80 which would act as a superfinder for the bigger scope. But now I have a good 50mm finder scope and it seems to work even better with its wider field and correct orientation. So no need for the Castor, and I can keep the ST80 permanently configured as a solar scope. "Permanently configured" is a good thing, as I am one of those muddle-headed people that can get confused about just about anything, so excluding the possibility of putting the wrong diagonal on the scope greatly reduces the chance of me burning a hole in the back of my skull!

One thing the Castor lacks is slow motion controls and it also requires perfect scope balance. I am thinking that the AZ5 would be a slightly more forgiving in the balance department and obviously provide slo-mo. So my questions... Is the C6 too big for an AZ5? Do you have to keep engaging and disengaging the AZ5 clutches to slew about? Why are the AZ5 clutches so tiny and is there a replacement?

In terms of load, the total weight might get to 6.3 kg (C6 = 3.3 kg; RACI50+RDF = 1 kg; Turret+Diagonal = 0.4 kg; Eyepieces = 0.9 kg; Dew shield = 0.5 kg; 0.63 Reducer = 0.2 kg). The turret makes balance weird as there is a big load off the scope axis, made worse by the big finder, but on the other hand means that there is no mid-session rebalancing. To keep the load symmetrical I could strap on a 0.5 kg counterweight around the dew shield so that pushes total load to 6.9 kg. Is that too much for an AZ5? I must add the tripod is a short Berlebach unit that is as solid as a rock.

3 minutes ago, Ags said:

But apparently the user manual for AZ5 states 9kg, depending on tripod?

It does. The lower 5kg rating is based on using the AZ5 on the aluminium tripod, where the tripod is the limiting factor. 9 kg with a decent tripod.

Heather

• Like 1

Good to hear weight is OK, Heather. Do you know if the AZ5 can cope with the tube diameter of the C6? How do you go about using it with those tiny clutches?

31 minutes ago, Ags said:

Good to hear weight is OK, Heather. Do you know if the AZ5 can cope with the tube diameter of the C6? How do you go about using it with those tiny clutches?

I have only used my AZ5 on my old Manfrotto 55 series photo  tripod , and with a skymax 127 on top , which weighs ( I think, from memory) 3.5kg ish, I've a RACI, Rigel quickfinder and decent diagonal on it,  so perhaps 4 to 4.5 kg including eyepiece (BST starguiders, not giant hand grenades !)

It's the only decent AZ mount I've ever used, so the fact that the clutch knobs are tiny hadn't even crossed my mind until you said that 😁 , they are all I've ever known ... Yes they  are small , but I've used the mount through the winter (I bought it last November) and twiddling the tiny clutches has not been a problem for me, even when I took  the mak out when snow was on the ground  (I used fingerless mitts so retained my dexterity)

I only use the az slo mo cable, I find it easier to reach the alt slo mo with just the knob attached , keeps the set up more compact too. One thing I had not anticipated was that the 127 skymax OTA has the dovetail underneath ( altho' if you buy it bundled with the AZ5, the dovetail is to the side) . As you side mount on the  AZ5, I had a conundrum : either have the finder shoe underneath 😞 and the AZ5 clamp and arm to the right of the 'scope tube as the AZ is designed to be, or effectively mount the 'scope backwards , i.e arm/clamp left of the tube (as seen from the eyepiece) which means that despite changing the angle of the arm to the more vertical setting, the back of the mak tube touches the az slo mo cable when I go higher than 60 degrees. Which is a pain, and means taking the cable off. Just using the knob not the cable would be no better.  

Obviously this may not be a problem for you, especially if you have tube rings , or a more appropriately placed dovetail.  As to the tube diameter, I did just out of interest try out my 150mm heritage dob on the AZ5 just once when I first bought the mount (the dob has the dovetail on the 'proper' right hand  side so would have no alt problems) and as I recall it was fine.

I've got to say thank you for drawing my attention to the AZT6, I'd been wondering about something lightweight simple, reasonably strong and not too expensive to replace the  photo  pan tilt head I have my little 'frac on, and that looks ideal !

Heather

• Thanks 1

@Tiny Clanger The AZT6 is pretty nice and certainly very small and light, and also quite visually appealing. The only drawback is the clutches are a bit annoying - hard to make them fully engage and lots of turning involved. Great for airline travel.

Taking on board the concerns about 6 - 7 kg load, I can get the load down to 5.5 kg if needed (C6 = 3.3 kg; RACI50+RDF = 1 kg; Diagonal = 0.2 kg; Eyepiece = 0.2 kg; Dew shield = 0.5 kg; 0.63 Reducer = 0.2 kg). Also I think it might be better if i get the AZ5 first, rather than trying to swap my Castor for one.

• Thanks 1

The AZ 5 should be fine with your setup. The 5kg load is based on the star adventure tripod. Also your scope has a short tube so no lever arm issues as with a similar weight bur longer tube refractor.

Steve

• Thanks 1

I've used a variety of scopes on the AZ5 and stainless steel tripod. A six inch telescope should be fine. My 150mm newtonian worked well and was comfortable to use, so I imagine the SCT being shorter should be OK. The clutches do need to be loosened to slew about but are easy to reach and the mount is well suited to a shorter tube. 

• Thanks 1