NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SOLAR ECLIPSE FROM OAKWORTH, WEST YORKSHIRE.

paulastro

I was up at 6am to check the weather, and in order to get to a better site if necessary.  Despite it being completely cloudy and very dull outside, the forecast indicated it should be fairly clear by about 9am and then intermittent sunshine until around 11am.  At 9am it was indeed brighter with some blue patches!  I decided to gamble and stay put.

In summary, I had good views from the start of the eclipse until 11.18, just after max when it clouded completely and threatened rain.  There were quick moving clouds, but the longest time the sun was out of view was for 12 mts.  There were often clouds dulling the sun, but not obscuring it completely for too long.

The affect of this was that the exposure varied greatly.  The pics below vary in exposure from 1/6400 sec to 1/4 sec at 250 asa!  All single frames taken with the Tecnosky 102 ED F7 and the Olympus E-M5 Mk11 at prime focus. The first pic was taken at 10.08 and the last at 11.10

I also used the PST and solar eclipse glasses for visual observations. In better seeing with the 102 ED, the profiles of craters and hills on the limb were very clear.

From reading other accounts of members, not far away, who had less success, I feel I was very fortunate indeed to see what I did.

P6100706 1008.jpg

P6100731 1019.jpg

P6100765 1050.jpg

P6100787 1101.jpg

P6100844 1118.jpg

• Like 18

Great stuff Paul, nice sequence.

Seeing the mountains and valleys on the limb of the Moon silhouetted against the Sun was one of the unexpected highlights for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRADLEY 1953 said:

Some very nice images Paul. I was almost totally clouded out here, but did manage a few brief glimpses from behind the clouds.  Cheers chris.

Thanks Chris, I'm glad you saw something of it.

38 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great stuff Paul, nice sequence.

Seeing the mountains and valleys on the limb of the Moon silhouetted against the Sun was one of the unexpected highlights for me.

Thank you Stu.  I agree with you, the profile of the lunar limb was certainly something I'll remember from this eclipse

It would have been nice to know what features we were looking at.

3 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

Very nice sequence - we had a few clear patches here (near Oxford), but the cloud increased as the eclipse progressed.

Chris

Partial Solar Eclipse 10th June 2021s.jpg

I'm glad you had some views Chris,  you were luckier than many folks.

• Thanks 1