Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope Dolly For Nexstar 6SE

Hello

As some of you know, I purchased a Celestron Nexstar 6SE recently.

While I knew it was a little hefty when I purchased it, it seems much heavier when you actually try to move it around.

I'd like to try and see if I can find a telescope-tripod dolly to make it easier on me when I move it. I live in an apartment building so I'm not worried about shoving through grass, etc.

All I would have to do is mount it on the dolly once then move from apartment to elevator to the rooftop and back down again.

I'm hoping some of the older members might be in the same predicament I'm in and can recommend something.

Thanks in advance.

I use an old plywood thing I that I used for shifting heavy guitar amps around a few years ago. My dob base sits nicely on it. 

A modern version could be of use, although I personally wouldn't trust a tripod on it. Check your measurements and look for something like this.

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Universal-Equipment-Dolly-by-Gear4music/1MA1

I was just about to write the same thing: a Dobsonian mount is bottom heavy so safe to move on a dolley, the SE Mount is liable to topple over if moved assembled.

Better in my opinion would be to use a four wheeled hand cart like this one and transport it disassembled:

https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Sports-Collapsible-Folding-Outdoor/dp/B0079P1KH6

I have one at home and I can see if my 6SE (disassembled) fits in it. Will send on photos ASAP.

I would place padding or bubble wrap in the trolley to reduce the risk of the OTA going out of collimation.

I have the (slightly heavier) C8 SE and I normally carry it around from indoors to yard or garden as a complete assembly.  It is not light but I can manage OK.  I would not want to carry it up or down stairs though.

The OTA/fork/mount can easily be detached from the tripod, which makes the upper part much more easy to carry, and the tripod itself is quite light.

I did make a triangular trolley for it (with small castor wheels) on which the tripod etc stood, but it did not work well.  I would suggest that if you find it too awkward to carry, get a carry case (with handles) for the OTA/mount assembly and carry the tripod as-is.  Once you have a carry case you still have the option of putting it on a shopping cart, sack barrow etc.

2 hours ago, Peter_D said:

Here's a photo of the 6SE in the trolley (cargo area 90 x 45 X 32cm)  It's not ideal that it needs to be assembled / disassembled each time but safer in my opinion.

IMG_20210607_112022155.jpg

Peter,

Thanks for the photo. Unless there's some other option which I'm not aware of, it looks like the cart would be the best option. I'm going to dread having to take it apart and reassemble after each time I use it. Just means more wear and tear on it imho. But it's rather top heavy so I don't see any other option.

Is your cart at home the same dimensions as the one in your link? I need to make sure I get the right size..or maybe they all come in the same size.

59 minutes ago, Goldfinger said:

Peter,

Thanks for the photo. Unless there's some other option which I'm not aware of, it looks like the cart would be the best option. I'm going to dread having to take it apart and reassemble after each time I use it. Just means more wear and tear on it imho. But it's rather top heavy so I don't see any other option.

Is your cart at home the same dimensions as the one in your link? I need to make sure I get the right size..or maybe they all come in the same size.

The dimensions I gave are of my cart at home - I didn't actually check the dimensions of the one in the link I gave you, sorry - it was more just to show what type of cart I meant. Usually these carts can be folded up and they take up very little space.

I wouldn't be worried about wear and tear - the build quality of the SE mount is good in my opinion. I suppose just don't over tighten things when assembling it.

You could build a wheeled dolly out of wood and caster wheels, and then put cups for each tripod foot on it spaced appropriately.  Next, tighten cargo straps or heavy duty bungee cords down from the center of the tripod to hold the tripod firmly to the platform.  If the whole thing still seems top heavy and tipsy, put a 40 pound bag of sand or steel plates around the center of the platform to move the center of gravity lower.  You can even add corner jacks to avoid lifting the tripod off the dolly.

spacer.pngspacer.png

8 minutes ago, Louis D said:

You could build a wheeled dolly out of wood and caster wheels, and then put cups for each tripod foot on it spaced appropriately.  Next, tighten cargo straps or heavy duty bungee cords down from the center of the tripod to hold the tripod firmly to the platform.  If the whole thing still seems top heavy and tipsy, put a 40 pound bag of sand or steel plates around the center of the platform to move the center of gravity lower.  You can even add corner jacks to avoid lifting the tripod off the dolly.

spacer.pngspacer.png

That's kind of what I had in mind but I don't have access to tools or a space to work in. So it looks like I'm going to purchase a garden cart like Peter has in one of his photos above.

https://www.harborfreight.com/24-in-x-36-in-folding-platform-truck-68894.html

You can customise/modify it, and to cradle your baby just how you'd like.   If it's not quite wide enough, attach a sheet of treated-plywood to it, with its corners rounded off. 

You can use these to help secure it...

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=bungee cords

There are so many possibilities.  You can make "shoes" for the tripod-legs' feet to set into, attached to the platform with a single stainless-steel screw...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlotte-Pipe-2-in-PVC-Schedule-40-FPT-Cap-PVC021171800HD/203811728

Then, batten the kit down with the bungee cords.  

Again, so many possibilities; imagine, Imagine, IMAGINE.