Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AstroLandscapes #19 - Reflections of Cassiopeia

I was out at one of the local nature reserves last night (RSPB Fen Drayton) hoping to capture some noctilucent clouds.  Nothing had appeared by midnight so I took the opportunity to do some nightscape shots.  

This one, looking to the north,  is of Cassiopeia, Perseus and Andromeda taken from a disused lock on Covells Drain, just before where it flows into the River Great Ouse.  I've noticed reflections in the drain before, and loved that I could see all the stars of Cassiopeia shimmering in the still water (although one's missing in the image!).  Setting up my tripod safely was a bit of a challenge, with one leg perched precariously on a rotten wooden beam that crosses the lock.  

📷 Canon 6D with Samyang 24mm f/1.4 lens at f/2.8, with Kase Starglow filter

🔧9x 15s exposures at ISO1600

🎞 Stacked in Sequator and final edits in Lightroom

This is the first nightscape image I've captured with the Kase / Alyn Wallace Starglow filter, which I think creates quite an attractive effect.  

As ever, would love your thoughts, suggestions, comments etc.  😊📷

340733655_20210605CassiopeiaoverCovellsLockwithStarglow.thumb.jpg.17c065a5fff6cf12233860cdf726d94d.jpg

• Like 14

A lovely landscape shot and I particularly like the tree reflections in the water as well as the stars.

I think the Kase filter has worked very well here and I think it's because you're pointing to an area that's not overloaded with stars. It has picked out Cassiopeia and Perseus a treat.

Dave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davew said:

A lovely landscape shot and I particularly like the tree reflections in the water as well as the stars.

I think the Kase filter has worked very well here and I think it's because you're pointing to an area that's not overloaded with stars. It has picked out Cassiopeia and Perseus a treat.

Dave.

Thanks Dave. I went quite heavy with the filter, using it for about 12s of each exposure.

It’s an interesting observation about which starfields  to use it on. I was experimenting with it earlier on and took shots at 50mm of Cygnus and the Plough. To my eye, the Cygnus region looks a bit noisy / busy but I quite like the Plough. Here’s the two test shots:

ADD4730F-AFB5-474F-A531-DF5F1E9A0B5E.thumb.jpeg.89bd3f0a0100737e33fe25dc5ffb1792.jpeg336B1A5D-93D9-4AAE-B40D-4D245C3F8971.thumb.jpeg.7d27711d7b167576c79236e395be2042.jpeg

• Thanks 1