Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laptop has to go

After many years of using a laptop outside at the mount I've finally decided to evolve with technology and go down the raspberry pi4 8gb route and vnc to it from indoors using my desktop PC running windows 10. I'd like a Bluetooth connection between mount and the pi to utilise my existing Bluetooth module attached to the neq6 and therfore one cable less, I'd also like to control a stepper motor for focusing (will the flirc case house both the pi and stepper motor controller hat?). I'll be imaging using a Canon 6d, guided by ASI 120 mini guider and sw evoguide, main scope sw 120 esprit and moonlite focuser. Will buy a stepper motor and diy mount it. Anyone see any problems, have tips an tricks that may help. Will probably install stellarmate on the pi.

1 hour ago, dark knight said:

After many years of using a laptop outside at the mount I've finally decided to evolve with technology and go down the raspberry pi4 8gb route and vnc to it from indoors using my desktop PC running windows 10. I'd like a Bluetooth connection between mount and the pi to utilise my existing Bluetooth module attached to the neq6 and therfore one cable less, I'd also like to control a stepper motor for focusing (will the flirc case house both the pi and stepper motor controller hat?). I'll be imaging using a Canon 6d, guided by ASI 120 mini guider and sw evoguide, main scope sw 120 esprit and moonlite focuser. Will buy a stepper motor and diy mount it. Anyone see any problems, have tips an tricks that may help. Will probably install stellarmate on the pi.

Good decision, firstly I use Astroberry which is a free image file for you SD card and has all the software you will need, Kstars, Ekos, Indi, PhD2 and much more….

No, it won’t al fit in the flirc case, as that case uses heatsinks built into the case that draw the heat out of the case and these touch all the parts that get very hot, these would be in the way….

Stellarmate is pretty much the same, I have that too, but costs $49 but you do get a very good app with it for full control from mobile devices and iPads…

I actually used SM for two years before moving to AB, as I don’t need the app, as I run mine, the same way you mention above over VNC, and TBH I find AB faster, more stable and generally better, and of course it’s free….

HTH..any questions please ask…👍🏼

8 minutes ago, dark knight said:

Thnx for that Stuart, can you recommend a case that would allow the stepper motor hat to be in the same case as the pi and maybe a fan to help cool everything or should they be in separate cases

Not sure on cases, as they all vary so much…I just use a cheap one from Amazon, but you will have to look for a case that allows the room for a hat…

I use a Pegasus UPB so that has a motor controller built in, also one thing I did not mention, depending on what kit you have you may need a powered USB hub, as the RPI USB ports are not that powerful and not good for unpowered cameras and such like, these can cause issues.

Also you need a good solid 5v 3 amp minimum power supply for the RPI, anything less can also cause issues…..

Power issues are the most common on this set up, and many people do not realise this, but it’s easy to remedy with a good power supply.

I already have a Powered USB hub so that should be OK, also I want to run off 12v so will be making a 12v dc to 5v 3 amp dc step down for the pi4, just realised may need something similar for the Powered  USB hub. 

1 hour ago, dark knight said:

I already have a Powered USB hub so that should be OK, also I want to run off 12v so will be making a 12v dc to 5v 3 amp dc step down for the pi4, just realised may need something similar for the Powered  USB hub. 

Yes, they are pretty cheap on fleabay, a few quid at most for a buck converter 12v to 5v and they are nice and small too…👍🏼

A case that will fit the Pi & a stepper motor hat can be found here and possibly elsewhere but I have this one. Not got a fan on it though.

I have the waveshare stepper hat which also allows the Pi4 to run from the 12v port on the hat to power both Pi & stepper motor. There is an indilib driver for it available for Astroberry/Stellarmate too.

• Like 1

Ok got astroberry working, canon 6d connects, guide cam connects, however Im now stuck, how do I get astroberry to use my neq6 bluetooth dongle to control the telescope, I have already paired it to astroberry but it doesn't connect, help please

3 hours ago, dark knight said:

Ok got astroberry working, canon 6d connects, guide cam connects, however Im now stuck, how do I get astroberry to use my neq6 bluetooth dongle to control the telescope, I have already paired it to astroberry but it doesn't connect, help please

When you have paired it, you should have a little icon on Bluetooth section with a Red Cross next to it…

DONT try and connect using that, open ekos, and with the EQMOD driver loaded it should find it automatically and assign a serial port to it

It shoud assign rfcomm0 

Now if non of this works, then you will need to open the Bluetooth software from the menu, and in there you can tell it to assign a serial port, then save and exit and try again…..👍🏼

2 hours ago, dark knight said:

Hmm it assigns /dev/ttyUSB0

What other ports are showing in the EQMOD INdI drive as available….? Is there an /dev/rfcomm0 there….if so those that in the box above it and click “set”

If not then you need to assign one from the Bluetooth software in the Astroberry menu….it’s easy enough….

Edited by Stuart1971

Finally got it connected, had to get bluez blueman installed , now just finding my way around the software, managed to plate solve an take some pics!!  Just trying the inbuilt  guiding, not sure of best settings though

19 minutes ago, dark knight said:

Finally got it connected, had to get bluez blueman installed , now just finding my way around the software, managed to plate solve an take some pics!!  Just trying the inbuilt  guiding, not sure of best settings though

Ah yes, I forgot that does not come with Astroberry, I am so used to using Stellarmate and it’s pre installed with that….

So have you tried re booting, as you may find you have to set it up each time you re boot, I did, in which case you have to add a line of code to a file, so let me know if you need this….then it will map itself to the rfcomm0 port on boot up each time, it’s called binding the port…👍🏼

22 minutes ago, dark knight said:

BTW, My daughter lives in Wiltshire, in Trowbridge, she works for Wiltshire farm foods as a marketing exec…is that near to you….?