NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Most effective dew shield material...

Hi there,

So I’m looking at retail dew shields and thinking they’re expensive for what they are and probably quite easy to make, so that’s what I’m gonna do.

Seen a few great videos on the subject but people use different materials for the tube, is there an optimum, specific type to use or would a thin ‘yoga’ matt type foam be acceptable and as effective as anything else?

thanks in advance👍 

To be honest, cardboard works great! I made this one last night out of an old box (I had no neoprene to hand!) and it worked perfectly. No dew at all in three and a half hours of imaging!

dew shield.jpg

dew shield 2.jpg

• Like 1

Hi adyj1 this looks like a good material for diy  dew shields  I have made  two for my 6se and2 for my etc 90 and one for my 9x50 raci finder from black  foam mat from Ikea .

they have been in use for a fair while now and are still good all for £2.50 plus a tube of glue £1.00

24 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

I got some of this from wickes;

Proplex black protection sheet

It's a 2mm thick matt black sheet, like cardboard but made out of plastic (one side has no printing) . Bit more robust than cardboard and a big sheet... 

Cheap and cheerful ☺ 

thanks. Good tip! Probably forms a rather nicer cylinder than my cardboard too. I'll give that a try

47 minutes ago, StuartT said:

thanks. Good tip! Probably forms a rather nicer cylinder than my cardboard too. I'll give that a try

I wouldn't say it forms iit that much better, as it is still like corrugated cardboard... It is durable, though. 

• Thanks 1

I made one of Reflectix®, Velcro®, and lined it with thick felt, dense foam for gripping, and for my relation's C90 Maksutov...

2110020293_dewshield3.jpg.08ff951bbefa9e65691a881b83c875ea.jpg

The metallic bubble-wrap is also used for wrapping the tube itself.  You can research that.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Alan64 said:

I made one of Reflectix®, Velcro®, and lined it with thick felt, dense foam for gripping, and for my relation's C90 Maksutov...

2110020293_dewshield3.jpg.08ff951bbefa9e65691a881b83c875ea.jpg

The metallic bubble-wrap is also used for wrapping the tube itself.  You can research that.

Nice tip! I've ordered some reflectix and some neoprene sheet, so I shall get creative!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Nice tip! I've ordered some reflectix and some neoprene sheet, so I shall get creative!

Oh, the felt, and the dense foam-sheet, should be the self-adhesive type.

Edited by Alan64
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, adyj1 said:

I got some of this from wickes;

Proplex black protection sheet

It's a 2mm thick matt black sheet, like cardboard but made out of plastic (one side has no printing) . Bit more robust than cardboard and a big sheet... 

Cheap and cheerful ☺ 

Plus one for this suggestion.

Velcro stickypads work well to keep it circular.

2.4m x1.2 m for a fiver wiil supply half your club members too! :)

• Like 3