I'm just starting out on astrophotography and I'm looking for general advice and where can I stack photos for free?

Just now, Lotinsh said:

I'm from a country Latvia, city Ventspils. I didn't think about the moonlight, I'll try to take more images when it's not full moon aswell, just wanted to try out today, this was my 2nd time :) The mask idea could work, I'll see if I can get one maybe

Actually, I'm not sure how a Bahtinov mask would work with your type of telescope. Maybe someone else will advise.

• Like 1

You could make a mask. Use stiff card try making a Y Lord mask.

If you took Moon photos then use say Registax to stack and process them. Then if you want stars from one of your Moon photos then once you've got the Moon image from Registax use a photo program and add a layer for the stars and blend it in using a layer mask.

• Like 1

Actually, I'm not sure how a Bahtinov mask would work with your type of telescope. Maybe someone else will advise.

Yes Bahtinov or Y masks also work with Newtonians, and yes you can make them yourself but the Bahtoniv is fiddly.  They are pretty cheap to buy.  

To be honest you are really going to struggle with DS imaging with a telescope without a tracking mount.  You might be able to get away with widefield (no telescope).

Carole   

• Like 1

If I am not mistaken, you use a dSLR?

When focusing manually, you should be able to zoom while focusing in the back screen using "live view".

A 5x zoom should help in focusing on the brightest star in your shot (or even 10x)

N.F.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nfotis said:

If I am not mistaken, you use a dSLR?

When focusing manually, you should be able to zoom while focusing in the back screen using "live view".

A 5x zoom should help in focusing on the brightest star in your shot (or even 10x)

N.F.

Good point, and turn iso up to max for focussing

• Like 1

Sounds good, the mask idea seems like it would work, also zooming in and using high iso could help, that one I didn't think about, that's good advice.

I'll try registax as happy kat recommended it. Thanks for advice!