Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newton on the Moon

Nik271

I didn't know there was a crater named for Isaac Newton on the Moon. Yesterday I was observing around 9-10pm and noticed a jumble of peaks and valleys south of Moretus and Short.

I have printed the beautiful LAC maps in A3 format which are a joy to consult but they don't have the limb regions. So I turned to

https://quickmap.lroc.asu.edu/?proj=10&tracking=b888488e-80f5-4dc9-a905-b0a55c2b7be9&layers=NrBsFYBoAZIRnpEoAsjYIHYFcA2vIBvAXwF1Siylw4oNEQBmOOR9RHfS870oA

and it identified this region as Newton. The NASA  illumination map of the current time confirmed this was exactly what I was seeing:

InkedMoon22May_LI.jpg.492ab30ba28aa97568be8a7ac9df3998.jpg

It is actually a jumble of craters on top of each other. I was using a Skymax 127 with 9mm EP giving x170. I could clearly see the central peak of the main crater and the dark shadow of the basins of the satellite craters. The LROC map gives the most detailed view (which sadly we can never see from Earth):

quickmap-lroc.thumb.png.13ca594c77b52f521f9019ddcbb9e42b.png

Apparently Newton D is the deepest crater on the nearside: 6km from rim to floor. I generated a cross section running from Newton A to Newton D and it does indeed show it:

profile.thumb.jpg.5f6503d9e7f6cfd602ada81e5dc200d4.jpg

These limb features are quite fun to observe, you never know what will be showing up :)

Clear skies!

Nik

• Like 6

Nice report and interesting details Nik. I agree, observing the craters right in the limb can be a really absorbing exercise. Some of these complex craters can be hard to identify can’t they?

I think the NASA terminator simulator is really top notch, and use it a lot. The main problem with it is a lack of labels on the features so you have to reference elsewhere l, but it is still very handy.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice report and interesting details Nik. I agree, observing the craters right in the limb can be a really absorbing exercise. Some of these complex craters can be hard to identify can’t they?

I think the NASA terminator simulator is really top notch, and use it a lot. The main problem with it is a lack of labels on the features so you have to reference elsewhere l, but it is still very handy.

At the scope I use Tom Kerss 'Moongazing: beginners guide to exploring the Moon', which has 16 labelled photographic plates with many of the main features listed. It is pocket sized which is great but of course it cannot have the really small detail or the libration features. The LROC map is superb for labelling even the most obscure feature but not really portable, I'm not even sure it will run on my phone. So have to go back to the house, check the LROC map on the desktop and try to match from memory. Sadly the LROC map does not show the libration and illumination. For this now we have the NASA simulator. In combination they all complement each other and it makes the observing more interesting, at least to me :)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks Stu for the reference to the Nasa Terminator Simulator, not seen that before I think it will help me tremendously in learning about the moon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soligor Rob said:

Thanks Stu for the reference to the Nasa Terminator Simulator, not seen that before I think it will help me tremendously in learning about the moon.

Yes, it’s very useful. Link here for anyone who hasn’t found it. Make sure you click through for the high res image once you’ve selected date and time.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4874

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nik271 said:

At the scope I use Tom Kerss 'Moongazing: beginners guide to exploring the Moon', which has 16 labelled photographic plates with many of the main features listed. It is pocket sized which is great but of course it cannot have the really small detail or the libration features. The LROC map is superb for labelling even the most obscure feature but not really portable, I'm not even sure it will run on my phone. So have to go back to the house, check the LROC map on the desktop and try to match from memory. Sadly the LROC map does not show the libration and illumination. For this now we have the NASA simulator. In combination they all complement each other and it makes the observing more interesting, at least to me :)

I use Lunar Quickmaps on my iPhone too which is very detailed, but again, no terminator simulation.

Moon Phase Photo Maps is a great iOS app for showing features along the terminator at different phases. I often use that for quick sessions just wanting the basics. They are available on www.derekscope.co.uk too

http://www.derekscope.co.uk/the-moon-20th/

F888AB70-82C7-4EE7-906D-F7AE24493D02.png

• Like 1