Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Viewing with a Thousand Oaks solar glass filter?.

Chaz2b

If you used one of these filters, what has your experience been say compared with a Baader solar film? Are there any other requirements needed to ensure safe viewing? I’m looking at getting one for my Televue85, I also have a Lunt 25mm plossl for the other end. Do I need a continuum filter? I have one if it’s required. Will it improve using a Herschel wedge with it as well?

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b

• Chaz2b changed the title to Viewing with a Thousand Oaks solar glass filter?.

Cheap glass solar filters like the Thousand Oaks are never as good as a good solar film like the Baader. Baader film is optically flat when fitted in a cell correctly ie: loose fitting which confuses some at first until they understand how the film works. Optically flat glass is incredibly expensive to make and so the cheap glass ones do introduce distortions as they are not that flat optically. 

Zeiss used to make great glass solar filters but were too expensive to sell well but now command very high prices second hand.

A Herschel wedge will be better than even the Baader film so is the way to go with a refractor so that would be my recommendation. 

The Baader continuum filter adds a little bit extra contrast and definition. Not a big difference but usefull if you are after every last bit of detail.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

What John said.

I would avoid glass solar filters, expensive and not optical quality glass, the film is higher quality.

Definitely consider a Herschel Wedge. I reckon a 1.25” Wedge is one of the best bargains out there; not that expensive and gives excellent results. I have a continuum filter permanently fitted to my wedge, never observe without it. You get used to a green sun very quickly.

• Like 1

Well, as I already have the Lunt 1.25” Herschel wedge and continuum filter, I’m pretty much set up, no need for anything else really. Thank you for your replys.

chaz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1