Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StellaLyra 12.5mm 1.25" LER Eyepiece - clone?

4 minutes ago, azrabella said:

Has anyone noticed the visible similarity between the William Optics 12.5mm SPL and the new(ish) StellaLyra 12.5mm offering from FLO? The specs seem identical on paper.

I've seen that design under a number of different brandings. Here it is Astro Professional:

https://www.astroshop.de/fr/oculaires/astro-professional-okular-le-long-eye-55d-12-5-mm-1-25-/p,54970

Here is Altair Astro's version:

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-lightwave-125mm-ler-125-inch-planetary-eyepiece-252-p.asp

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, azrabella said:

Well, it seems the same apart from a few cosmetics. I do believe that Long Perng manufactured the William Optics version. I wonder who makes the StellaLyra version???

I think a number of manufactuers produce eyepieces that are marketed under the StellaLyra branding ?

This from the Long Perng website: So I guess they are the same.

E12.5L-A Long Eyerelief Eyepiece(celestial)
Long eye-relief eyepieces 

Model # E12.5L-A
Focal length (mm) 12.5
Eye relief (mm) 20
Barrel size 1.25”
Field of view (degrees) 55°
lens constrution  7 elements in 4 groups 
construction  Aluminum
coating  Fully multi-coated 

12 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

For this particular eyepiece, it is Long Perng, and it has been sold under many labels, from Stellarvue to Orion to StellaLyra, etc.

This is not a secret 🙂 

We always share who manufactures our StellaLyra eyepieces when we introduce them: 

The same is true for the StellaLyra Kitakaru eyepieces mentioned in the same introduction. 

Our StellaLyra SuperView series are also made in Taiwan but by a different manufacturer - Guan Sheng Optical (GSO). Again we shared this info here at SGL: 

HTH, 

Steve 

Thanks Steve - I've only just discovered your new range. I was just struck by the similarity between the William Optic SPL and  your StellaLyra specs. Joining the dots independently led me to Long Perng. I think yours (with a larger range of focal lengths) should do really well.

Edited by azrabella

7 hours ago, FLO said:

This is not a secret 🙂 

We always share who manufactures our StellaLyra eyepieces when we introduce them: 

The same is true for the StellaLyra Kitakaru eyepieces mentioned in the same introduction. 

Our StellaLyra SuperView series are also made in Taiwan but by a different manufacturer - Guan Sheng Optical (GSO). Again we shared this info here at SGL: 

HTH, 

Steve 

Very few companies import the whole range.  Kudos.

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Thanks 1

On 21/05/2021 at 18:24, Louis D said:

I don't see the 14.5mm or 18mm focal lengths on FLO's website.

On 21/05/2021 at 19:11, azrabella said:

Those two focal lengths would really be useful too. Come on FLO you know you can do it...

We can but we reasoned this series is designed primarily for comfortable high magnification viewing so would be most popular in shorter focal lengths.  So far, nobody has requested the two longer focal lengths but we will happily import them if enough people ask 🙂 

Steve 

5 hours ago, FLO said:

We can but we reasoned this series is designed primarily for comfortable high magnification viewing so would be most popular in shorter focal lengths.  So far, nobody has requested the two longer focal lengths but we will happily import them if enough people ask 🙂 

Steve 

That's kind of what I figured.  They're also the two weakest focal lengths in that lineup because they are positive-only designs, IIRC.  I'd probably steer people toward the BST Starguider 15mm and 18mm offerings instead.