Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crew Dragon?

I just nipped out for a quick look at he sky, naked eye and binoculars, it didn't seem worth getting the telescope out as the cloud was rolling in.

I'm glad I did because i saw Crew Dragon (according the Stellarium) go across the top of the sky.  It was very bright, it looked like a tiny moon through the bins and was still a very bright object without them.

What a clever time we live in, that's cheered me up no end.

Edit.  According to websites, this landed days ago, so i don't know what i was looking at  :)

Edited by Capt Slog
  • Like 2

• Capt Slog changed the title to Crew Dragon?
9 minutes ago, Kon said:

Yes ISS. Very bright tonight.

Yep, I popped out to my observatory at that time and was just in time to see the ISS pass close to the Moon, then pretty much directly overhead. It was certainly very bright....

• Like 1

That must have been it.

It's an odd description from Stellarium, which appears to be referring to the people inside rather than the object. 

I'd also checked my other go-to which is Heavens Above, and that didn't list a pass of the ISS over me, but i didn't realise at the time that my cookies must have been cleared since i last used that website, and it didn't know where i lived.  :)    This morning I see the error, and there it is, listed as passing over at mag -3.8.

Thanks for the corrections and clearing that up.  I was still thrilled to see it like that, i've only ever seen it pass about 30 degrees up from the southern horizon and usually in twilight. I used to regularly look out for it 20 odd years ago to point out to my young sons, the eldest was 30 last weekend, time flies when you're having fun.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure the crew dragon might still be attached to the ISS. That could be why they listed it as passing over.

With the madness in the Gulf with the first one returning, I'm sure I would have remembered it coming back!

• Like 1