Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from West Yorkshire

Adamw91

Have a look in the for sale section on the site, there are a couple of good telescopes at good prices at the moment. Have a close look at the Meade ETX90, it may be an old telescope but anybody that still has the box after 20 years tells you that it has been looked after. When you look at the telescopes, have a look at the top of the forum page for resources, astronomy tools, FOV (field of view) calculator. Input the telescope with atypical eyepieces then pick an object to see what to expect. HTH

7 hours ago, Adamw91 said:

Hiya Stepehen I'm in Leeds too! But I'm on the other side in Morley!

Forgive my rudeness but what's the LAS? And absolutely I agree!

On the telescope side of things though I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment. The scope i have turns put to be not a very good scope. Now on hunting for another but I'm not sure which one would be a decent one for a good price (as I cant really afford an expensive one at the moment) I dont trust the review sites that say "best beginner telescopes" anymore as thats where I found my scope.

So I'm in a bit if a bind atm 😂 but absolutely would be great to get a group going so we can all travel to dark sky locations and just marvel at the universe :) I'm totally down for that!

LAS - Leeds Astronomy Society. Not meeting in person at the moment though. When they start up again I hope to go. They meet at Eccup. I know West Yorkshire is quite a large area, so hoping to find some fellow enthusiasts at some point!

Sorry to hear your telescope woes already. I had fortunately used a dobson before so I knew that was what I wanted. Plus from my very limited knowledge of photography, I know glass lenses are very expensive for good ones, so I went for a reflector rather than a refractor.

Have you got the "walk through the heavens' book? It's been so useful as a beginner, and I've been able to do quite a bit of astronomy with some 8x32 binoculars I inherited from my grandparents (I think they are the free RSPB membership ones!).

1 hour ago, Stephen_M said:

LAS - Leeds Astronomy Society. Not meeting in person at the moment though. When they start up again I hope to go. They meet at Eccup. I know West Yorkshire is quite a large area, so hoping to find some fellow enthusiasts at some point!

Sorry to hear your telescope woes already. I had fortunately used a dobson before so I knew that was what I wanted. Plus from my very limited knowledge of photography, I know glass lenses are very expensive for good ones, so I went for a reflector rather than a refractor.

Have you got the "walk through the heavens' book? It's been so useful as a beginner, and I've been able to do quite a bit of astronomy with some 8x32 binoculars I inherited from my grandparents (I think they are the free RSPB membership ones!).

Ahh got ya ill check them out!

Thays alright I think I have it sorted now!

Btw I've found a great dark sky site that's in Malham,Skipton which is not so far away from us!

I havent got that book I'll have to look into it and look into getting some binoculars too! Any recommendations for binocs?

• 2 weeks later...