Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece storage case

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if the following item on eBay would be suitable as a cheap eyepiece storage case? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233484293126

I can't tell how deep the foam cubes are and if removing them would leave adequate space for a few 1.25 and one 2" eyepiece. I would probably put my laser, Cheshire, and a few other bits and bobs in there too.

Or maybe someone can offer me an alternative case listed elsewhere? I'm looking for a cheap aluminium one.

Getting a bit fed up of the old Quality Street box 😅

IMG_20210504_223138.jpg

First off, nothing priced under several hundred dollar offers actual aluminum sides.  That's actually a very thin, textured plastic painted to look like aluminum.  It punctures fairly easily if hit up against a sharp corner.

If you were in the US, I'd tell you to buy a Plano 4 pistol case at Walmart for under $20.  However, they don't seem to be sold in the UK.

For you in the UK, I would recommend a hard plastic waterproof tool case such as this one.  Even the cheap Chinese made ones are pretty rugged.  Get the deepest one you can afford so you can store your eyepieces upright.  The dimensions can be misleading because they usually refer to outside rather than inside dimensions.  Subtract at least 1/2" (13mm) from the depth to get the inside depth.  Check your local discount big box retailers and Amazon to see what they carry before ordering from China directly.  I picked up mine from Fry's and Sam's Club here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These guys are good.   Quality is decent and delivery fast.     For day to day use they're fine.  Obviously you're not gonna be able to run over it with a car but they offer a good general impact knock and bang protection :)  

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/roc-cases-flight-case-with-cubed-foam-silver-l250xw200xh125mm

• Like 1

Mine is still under construction but is a 2nd hand aluminium camera case with dividers removed and new cubed foam insert bought from Ebay. I've not finished it and put anything in yet but the cardboard box I currently use needs to be retired 🙂

Andy

Additional: if you go to Am#z*n and type "pistol case" in the search, a load of them come up. Hth

Edited by Dark Vader
More info

That one you've mentioned there is pretty much the same as mine. I got a couple off ebay, one for eyepieces/filters the other for finder/starsense/cables and other "setup" gubbins. They've got 15mm foam cubes and I always leave at least 2 or 3 between adjacent items. Rather than plucking them, I "cut" them using a metal ruler, which makes the recesses a bit cleaner. They seem perfectly robust to me.

There's a short thread over here on eyepiece cases:  https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/327792-show-me-your-eyepieceaccessories-case-please/

I bought the exact same case last year, from a different marketplace.

I think it's reasonable for what I paid for it.  I don't abuse it and it hasn't misbehaved yet.  Unlike some of the other contributers, I committed to cutting the foam for specific EPs (with a carpet knife and nail scissors) as I bought them, and so it's not as well layed out as it could have been if I'd known what I'd have:

1317735222_Eyepiececollection.jpg.7c45da41097e711df4732e5ade236111.jpg

(it's changed a bit since I took this)