Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power supply

I have a battery box with 5.5 x 2.1 tip positive connectors for my dew strips and power to the mount.  As many of you know I have some health issues and am considering changing my kit next year to a Ioptron AZ mount pro so I will only need to power the dew strips.

I would like to get a small power bank but they all seem to come with USB connectors and my W&W astro dew strips say I need 12v  are there alternatives to this either a cable adapter or can you you run the strips off less volts thanks.

6 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

You can get 5V dew heaters that will run off a mobile phone power bank but they are only suitable for camera lenses/small scopes. I use one of these and it will fit my 90mm Mak as well as my lenses.

Alan

Thanks Alan, 

I am going to need one for a 4" and a 5" scope unless these work for them otherwise I am going need something else. 

Paul 

Something like this should be suitable. The 12V out is almost certainly 2.1mm out, as 2.1 x 5.5mm extender cables are listed as useful accessories. The yellow 9V output may be a larger centre pin just by looking at it, so a splitter cable like this would let you power your two dew straps from the 12V output. For a 5" and 4" scopes the total combined current would be under 1A so you should easily get a nights use out of it as it should supply 1A for 8 hours.

Alan

These are available on ebay. I bought one just before Christmas to power my Skywatcher goto mount, and I've been very happy with it. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-1800mAh-DC-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Portable-Power-Pack-UK-/184731599316?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Various capacities are available. I bought a 3600mAh one for about twice the price of this one. 

35 minutes ago, symmetal said:

Something like this should be suitable. The 12V out is almost certainly 2.1mm out, as 2.1 x 5.5mm extender cables are listed as useful accessories. The yellow 9V output may be a larger centre pin just by looking at it, so a splitter cable like this would let you power your two dew straps from the 12V output. For a 5" and 4" scopes the total combined current would be under 1A so you should easily get a nights use out of it as it should supply 1A for 8 hours.

Alan

29 minutes ago, Stephen Blythe said:

These are available on ebay. I bought one just before Christmas to power my Skywatcher goto mount, and I've been very happy with it. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-1800mAh-DC-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Portable-Power-Pack-UK-/184731599316?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Various capacities are available. I bought a 3600mAh one for about twice the price of this one. 

Thank you both these look ideal I may get both and very compact should be very easy to transport. 

• Like 1