Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGPro not controlling PHD2 properly

My usual telescope is a William Optics GT81, which I use with a ZWO ASI120mc guide camera and a separate guide scope. For galaxy season, I am now using a Meade LX200 SCT with a ZWO 174mm as the guide camera on an off axis guider.

Gear other than that is the same ZWO ASI183mm mono cooled camera, ZWO EFW filter wheel, Losmandy GM8 mount.

I have controlled the the GT81 setup with SGPro and the GT81 for a couple of years now, and had no issues, SGPro controls PHD2 properly, starting and stopping the guiding process correctly.

It's taken me a while to get used to the LX200, and originally I controlled it with APT (Astro Photography Tool). But have now migrated to SGPro. I have separate PHD2 profiles for the two telescopes, and separate SGP equipment profiles, the guiding part of which calls up the relevant PHD2 profile.

If I start PHD2 stand alone, with the LX200 profile , the guiding works fine. But if start the SGP sequence (with the right SGP Profile), it slews to near the target correctly, plate solves for the auto centre process, then says "Starting Auto Guider".. but it never does, and the sequence doesn't start. It does the same whether the guiding has been already been started independantly or not. If PHD is alread stared I can see that it is actually guiding correctly, so it's not an issue that it can't find a star or anything like that.

It seems purely to be an issue of the two programs not communicating.

I haven't yet reverted to trying the GT81 setup, I'll try that next time out (maybe tonight!)

Has anyone any suggestions as to how to diagnose, or fix the problem..

Thanks

Dave

42 minutes ago, iapa said:

I was wondering what the equipment profile you are using looks like.

Can you show us screen shots?

Sure.. Appreciate you asking..

The SGP LX200 profile looks like this.. (Guiding tab first) ( I have tried with and without dither)

image.png.13be2fdddec5673761361b5fcb7e4c1b.png

Under PHD settings, I have this..LX200_OAG is the correct PHD2 profile

image.png.e348f466c0680f73ebd1cbdfdeb165d6.png

Other tabs are..

image.png.1e1329470ca1f038cb0e12f0aa4354a0.png

image.png.a68a20a619a0145873eec89a51e4c47f.png

image.png.466da0400dacf548deef05dde247bcfb.png

image.png.1e8a1e31221e715063c8fd75a44c21c2.png

image.png.81e73194fbd1bddeaa05808047b0101f.png

image.png

Looking at these, the only thing that comes to mind right now is whether the PHD2 profiles have been rename.

So, using your second image above, could you try clicking refresh to check the existing profiles?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, iapa said:

Looking at these, the only thing that comes to mind right now is whether the PHD2 profiles have been rename.

So, using your second image above, could you try clicking refresh to check the existing profiles?

Good thought. I did the refresh, the name was correct. Interestingly SGP opened PHD2 to do that, so there must be communications between the two. Setting up outside now with the GT81 setup, I'll report back.

Appreciate your help

Yeah, I definitately have. Just been out and tried with the GT81 gear, it did work, but only after a sunstancial re-calibration. As I understand it, each calibration should be maintained as you change PHD2 profiles.

So, LX200 is back on the mount, I'll do a complete re-cal, followed by a guiding assistant. Then try again.

Re-calibrated the guiding, started PHD2 but did not start it looping. Started the SGPro sequence.. this started PHD2 into looping mode, I watched it auto choose a star, and then start guiding. Unfortunately this wasn't communicated back to SGP, or SGP did not register the fact, and so it just sat there saying:-

image.png.1bc8e7dc9d304989e803fc5ffc356484.png

And the sequence never started. BUT -when I went into PHD and stopped the looping, SGP immediately recognixed this and stopped the sequence..

image.png.bfb3bb1ee86ffbfdfb7f28f382afc70b.png

Unbelieveable

It feels like SGPro is waiting for PHD2 to settle in it’s guiding.

Daft question, but have you perhaps reinstalled PHD2 and not enabled server (Tools | Enable server)? That would prevent SGPro to get feed back from PHD2.

Edited by iapa
  • Thanks 1

I have seen this issue before too.  In my case it was my anti-virus SW - Bitdefender - blocking the communications on the internal software port that is open between SGP and PHD.  What AV software are you running?  Maybe the firewall is blocking communications between the two programs - try turning it off.

3 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

I have seen this issue before too.  In my case it was my anti-virus SW - Bitdefender - blocking the communications on the internal software port that is open between SGP and PHD.  What AV software are you running?  Maybe the firewall is blocking communications between the two programs - try turning it off.

Good point re firewall esp. if PHD2 was reinstalled as it want permission to allow traffic on first run.

On 29/04/2021 at 06:23, iapa said:

It feels like SGPro is waiting for PHD2 to settle in it’s guiding.

Daft question, but have you perhaps reinstalled PHD2 and not enabled server (Tools | Enable server)? That would prevent SGPro to get feed back from PHD2.

Enable Server is definitely ticked..

On 29/04/2021 at 18:18, fwm891 said:

If you're using an OAG have you set the scopes focal length in PHD2?        Red Brain / Guiding...

phd2 fL.jpg

Yes, focal length in PHD2 is set correctly, but your comment has made me wonder whether the guide star tracking parameters are correct?

This is the set up for the LX200 1260mm FL..

image.png.cfa4adb5a076f34658e7a8c732d3b009.png

For my GT81 with reducer (focal length main scope 380 mm, guide scope 300mm) I have

image.png.81732c7aea203956d8339e022f7becfb.png

Should my guide star tracking parameters be significantly different because my FL is significantly different?

image.png