Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

6 inch scope v 10 inch scope

mdstuart

Upgraded to 10 inch so whats the difference? :cheers:

Well after looking a a number of objects I can confirm that a 10 inch scope sees faint objects with a full moon pretty much as a 6 inch when there is no moon. So I am presuming a full moon affects seeing by just over one magnitude.

The 10 inch is noticably better at splitting close doubles such as 4" Caster etc but not by much as the seeing seems to be more the key.

Venus seems much brighter than in the 6 inch and looks much more txt book like.

Colours are more evident in stars and the orion nebula does have a hint of green.

FOV is narrower with the 32mm plossl, only half of pleides visible compared to the whole thing in the 6 inch (both F5 scopes)...

So when the moon is not out I should be able to catch NGC 891 for the first time which was just beyond the 6 inch....

Mark

Hi Mark,

Looking at a similar upgrade myself. I'd be interested to see how you get on when the moon doesn't feature... Are you using a dob? I was thinking of putting the 10'' on my Tal mount. Did you consider this or do you have an HEQ5?

I give you 3 months before you get a 16'' :shock: :thumbright:

Cheers

Jon

Yes it is a dob, I was thinking of putting it on the TAL mount but I am not sure if it would cope with the 23.7kg weight. Also will need some rings etc....

If the TAL OTA goes without the mount I may try it for fun, what have I got to loos as long as I do not allow the tube to drop...!

Yes it is a dob, I was thinking of putting it on the TAL mount but I am not sure if it would cope with the 23.7kg weight. Also will need some rings etc....

If the TAL OTA goes without the mount I may try it for fun, what have I got to loos as long as I do not allow the tube to drop...!

The OTA weighs 23.7kg !!!! Wow...

If you try it, can you let me know how you get on....

Cheers

Jon

Archived