Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question on stacking moon images

Adam1234

I'm predominantly a deep sky imager but seeing as the Moon is out at the moment thought I would try some lucky imaging on the moon, but I have a question on the stacking side of things. I know there is a limit on length of video for the planets before the rotation of the planets becomes an issue, but how long a video is ideal with the Moon before field rotation takes effect? (using a SkyWatcher 10inch dobsonian and Canon 2000d for the Moon).

Thanks

How to Autostakkert handle field rotation?

I took some 5 minute videos using the planetary feature on APT, I only managed to get a frame rate about 15fps as I was using using DSLR and not a planetary camera, so about just over 4000 frames but there does seem to be significant field rotation. 

AS3 will handle small amounts of field rotation but for a significant amount the advance settings tab has a field rotation compensation tool. You do need to input some info though I can't remember exactly what, perhaps the rotation angle between first and last frames? 

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 1