Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PHD2 works with Sharpcap but not APT

Just make sure that APT isn't trying to use the guide camera! It has a habit of connecting to whatever camera it sees first.

If you set PHD2 running first, that it, select and start the guide camera and mount (it should loop and guide as standalone). If you now start APT it will default to the camera not already in use, i.e, your imaging camera.

If you hold shift when you click to connect the camera in APT, it will open a window that among other things allows you to select camera 1 or camera 2. one of those is the guide cam the other is your imaging cam.

The very latest beta of APT now gives the camera names in that window. Make selection easier.

Edited by Paul M

51 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Just make sure that APT isn't trying to use the guide camera! It has a habit of connecting to whatever camera it sees first.

If you set PHD2 running first, that it, select and start the guide camera and mount (it should loop and guide as standalone). If you now start APT it will default to the camera not already in use, i.e, your imaging camera.

If you hold shift when you click to connect the camera in APT, it will open a window that among other things allows you to select camera 1 or camera 2. one of those is the guide cam the other is your imaging cam.

The very latest beta of APT now gives the camera names in that window. Make selection easier.

Tried PHD2 as a standalone and up pops EQMOD with this...

_20210425_220323.JPG

22 minutes ago, Astro Geezer said:

Tried PHD2 as a standalone and up pops EQMOD with this...

Yeah, it's looking for the mount. If you run APT first that will look for a mount but if one isn't connected it doesn't throw up the EQMOD window. If APT connects to the mount it is via EQMOD and PHD2 connects to the same instance of EQMOD or vice versa. 

PHD2 is a standalone tool anyway. It just has a "server" that allows it to tell imaging software what it's doing and allow that software to tell PHD2 when to dither and to inhibit guiding during a GoTO/slew. 

No absolute need for PHD2 to talk to the imaging software but it can cause much difficulty if it doesn't.

Ultimately PHD2 issues the guide pulses to the mount directly so needs to be connected to the mount (via EQMOD under windows or INDI under flavours of Linux). If there is no mount connected then PHD2 won't do much.

EQMOD does have a mount simulator which can be useful when configuring software in the comfort of the lounge :)

If you do have a mount connected when you get that message you need to make sure PHD2 is looking for the right mount. If APT is connecting to the mount OK then PHD2 should have no trouble.

image.thumb.png.ffba45e4e43fba053feeebf2ef73fad4.png

Edited by Paul M

Hhmmm... when I connect the mount in APT I don't get that message in EQMOD....it's all fine, yet PHD2 won't work 😡 

Camera and mount are both connected but it can't complete a single exposure to loop.

Works fine with Sharpcap but I need to use APT😭😭