NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1396 Elephant's Trunk Nebula HaRGB

Snoani

Despite it being very low in the sky from my location currently, I decided to give the Elephant's trunk nebula an early attempt.  

It is made of of 2.5 hours of each RGB and 6 hours of H-Alpha data taken using a Meade 6000 80mm and ASI 1600MM Pro.  I also took 2.5 hours of luminance but when I processed and integrated this I felt it produced a worse image and so I decided to stick with Ha for the luminance layer.  

I am still learning how to process mono images and had a few attempts at this before settling on this version.  I am sure that it can be processed better but I am happy outcome as it is. 

Feedback is welcome as always.

HaRGB.thumb.jpg.c34cb630a25eb4175adc416bdfb5ac69.jpg

Edited by Snoani
  • Like 16

Very nice image with great detail.

You don't say which software you are using for processing your data.

I was advised by SGL members not to replace the Luminance with Ha as you will likely as not get very 'pink' results.

Far better is to blend the Ha in with the Red data with a Lighten blend (some recommend Screen) as this will give you increased detail and a more balanced output. You need to experiment with the opacity of the Ha to determine the best result.

HTH

• Snoani changed the title to IC1396 Elephant's Trunk Nebula HaRGB

Great result.

I'm not really sure of the merits of using Ha or Lum for the Luminance layer but sometime the Ha gives tighter stars. I also find the contrast with the dust/dark is better. However, like all AP, try different options and see which is best. What works for one target is poor on others. I got a good result with this one merging a starless and a starred image to enhance the contrast. I've tried this on some other nebulae and it just did not work.

22 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Very nice image with great detail.

You don't say which software you are using for processing your data.

I was advised by SGL members not to replace the Luminance with Ha as you will likely as not get very 'pink' results.

Far better is to blend the Ha in with the Red data with a Lighten blend (some recommend Screen) as this will give you increased detail and a more balanced output. You need to experiment with the opacity of the Ha to determine the best result.

HTH

I appreciate your feedback.  I attempted this once last year using a DSLR and L-Extreme filter and really struggled to bring out the detail.  It was far easier this time using mono and filters, particularly Ha.  

I primarily used photoshop to process this.  I have read previously, and have advised others myself that using Ha as luminance will wash out the red, and found this myself when processing the horsehead few months ago.  However, in this instance I experimented with several different blends involving luminance and ha and this was the best result.  I quite like the fact that the colour isn't a full on red and that you can still see star colour.  

That said, it may be that I process the data again at some point in the future though.  

11 hours ago, Snoani said:

I appreciate your feedback.  I attempted this once last year using a DSLR and L-Extreme filter and really struggled to bring out the detail.  It was far easier this time using mono and filters, particularly Ha.  

I primarily used photoshop to process this.  I have read previously, and have advised others myself that using Ha as luminance will wash out the red, and found this myself when processing the horsehead few months ago.  However, in this instance I experimented with several different blends involving luminance and ha and this was the best result.  I quite like the fact that the colour isn't a full on red and that you can still see star colour.  

That said, it may be that I process the data again at some point in the future though.  

I found a great processing technique the other day (for photoshop) In short- say your doing a Bi colour process, OIII has gone to the green and blue channel, Ha to red, now go into layers where the Ha and OIII has been combined,  over saturate the colours a little, blur this layer until the noise has gone, now bring in the Ha on top as a new layer and turn it into a luminance layer. I have recently started doing this and found it really good. Because you have over saturated the under layer, the colours should show through the Ha lum layer, you have blurred the under layer to remove noise but the Ha will bring back all the details. Have a play, I have found it made a really big difference to my processing.

Edited by Rustang