NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is it worth the trouble?

tripleped

I recently discovered  that  there  is a dedicated "astronomy park" about a 45 min drive from my light polluted Bortle 8 skies.  I have not  yet  been to a darker sky site. The place looks pretty neat- about  a dozen concrete observing platforms to set up your stuff, electrical outlets, even bathrooms (its part  of a larger public park)    This  is a Bortle 6 area according  to CLear Outside app.  My question  is how  much observing  improvement  could  one expect  going from Bortle 8 to 6? If  I'm gonna haul my 10 " Dob with its heavy base out there I'd like it to be worth my while. I'd  hate  to get  out there only to find  that the observing  improvement is marginal. What  do people think?

If there is nowhere closer and darker go, maybe bring binoculars or a smaller scope first time. See how close even darker skies are....  the darker the skies the better your scope will perform.

peter

• Like 1

Very sensible suggestion from Peter.  For visual, darker skies will usually give you more returns than many improvements in EPs or filters. It depends of course on what you are hoping to see.  There is little improvement on planetary targets or double stars but DSOs are very dark sky dependent.

John

Edited by westmarch

correct.  Its in midwest part  of the U.S.  There are also  some  state parks in even darker  skies a bit  farther  away where  you can stargaze with permission from park rangers whom I understand not only allow it but actually encourage it! Rather  refreshing to know!  I'll have to check it out.